Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adware/malware redirects

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

I don't know how this started and don't know how to remove it. Whenever I'm using the chrome browser on my samusng galxy s4 I will usually get redirected to adware sites such as spaces dot slimspots dot com it will show a message saying "you have won a massive prize" or "malware was found on your system!" But after 3 seconds of showing this message McAfee site advisor blocked it and classified it as a dangerous site. Is there anyway to remove this? I have tried clearing the data and cache on chrome, ran scans with malwarebytes, McAfee, avast, avg, bit defender, and many other scanners (of course uninstalling the other in case of conflicts) and they all found nothing! I am really stumped on what to do here. The redirect occurs on XDA developers, gamefaqs, facebook, supercheats and some other sites. Please help me!

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 14 January 2015 - 06:23 PM.

they call me te java mayster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

I had just read about this adware the other day. I have seen tons of suggestions but nothing seems to work. I literally stumbled on this answer and looked at others who tried it and it seems to be a chrome issue. The adware doesn't bother other browsers.

Let me know if this works for you. I don't have the adware so I can't test it.

http://androidforums.com/threads/android-chrome-redirection-virus-malware-adware.878655/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

OK I'll try that the thing is though sometimes I get the popups on the normal android browser (internet) I'll have a look at the forum you told me to go and follow the instructions there.

Edit: Can't do the steps not sure if it will work on windows 8 and can't find the connector leads for the computer. Not sure if Firefox with ad block extension will work. Also I tried going to XDA developers on another phone that is completely clean no adware using the internet browser not chrome and guess who! It redirected me to spaces dot slimspots dot com I quickly backed put of it before damage could be done though...

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 15 January 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#4 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

Do you know what causes this animal?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

From what I've been able to glean out of the 15 or 20 different posts and write ups I read. It's a flaw in the Chrome code. Other browsers don't seem to be affected like this.

Every one of the posts I read, said using a different browser doesn't seem to generate the same yet specific issue with slimspots.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:13 AM

Alright then I guess I'll have to use Mozilla Firefox but what worries me is that McAfee site advisor doesn't support Firefox... Its sad that a massive company like Google can't fix this problem. Hopefully in future updates they will find a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users