Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Service

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DeniseB

DeniseB

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi

When I tried to remove McAfee I got a message stating that Windows Installer Service couldn't be accessed because I was either in safe mode (which I wasn't) or it wasn't installed properly. I've also received this message when I've tried to instal programmes.

I've visited the relevant help page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319624/ and it states that I shouldn't get this message with XP (ah, little do they know ...). There are several options displayed on this page but I don't know which to chose. I've tried unregistering and reregistering but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hey there,

I think you've got the wrong microsoft article there. I found this one for XP, which is a solution for the error - "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed". I would recommend you step through the two methods of fixing the problem and then post back with the results.

Here is the link to the article + fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315346

David

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

Try upgrading Windows Installer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:28 PM

Information here may be useful too:

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110722

#5 DeniseB

DeniseB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

Thanks guys - although it looks as though I need a clear head and a strong coffee before I make a start on this (I naturally panic when the article begins by telling you how dangerous it can be ...) I'll let you know how I get on. Many thanks to you both for taking the time out to reply so quickly.

D.

Forgot to mention - I've already upgraded to 3.1 but thanks anyway.

Edited by DeniseB, 22 June 2006 - 05:53 PM.

#6 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

I got this same exact error message several days ago. After looking through some articles about the error, i finally found a solution that worked.

It so happened that all I had to do was re-register the windows installer service.
Here's the instructions I used, from this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324516

Method 2: Re-register Windows Installer
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

Note: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

To re-register Windows Installer, follow these steps.

Note If you cannot complete the following steps, go to method 3.
1. Click Start, and then click Search.
2. Click All files and folders.
3. In the File name box, type Msiexec.exe, and then click Search.
4. After the search is complete, make a note of the location of the Msiexec.exe file. The location of the file should be similar to the following example:
C:\Windows\System32
5. On the File menu, click Close to close the Search dialog box.
6. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
7. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer
8. In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click ImagePath.
9. In the Edit String dialog box that appears, make sure that the string in the Value data box contains the correct path for the Msiexec.exe file that you determined in step 4.

Note: The following is an example of the correct path, where drive is the drive where Windows is installed:
drive :\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V

If the Value data box does not contain the correct path, make changes to correct the path, and then click OK to close the Edit String dialog box.
10. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
11. Start your computer in Safe mode, and then register the Msiexec.exe file. To do this, follow these steps:
-a. Shut down your computer, and then restart your computer.
-b. Restart your computer and press the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, press the F8 key when you see the Boot menu.
-c. Use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
-d. If the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.
-e. Log on to the computer.
-f. Click Start, click Run, type msiexec /regserver in the Open box, and then click OK.
12. Shut down your computer, and then restart your computer normally.

Posted Image

#7 DeniseB

DeniseB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

Hi. Thanks to all for your responses but before I begin tinkering with the restistry (still not plucked up the courage) I've just looked at Services (services.msc) and it shows Windows Installer as Manual start up but Service Status = Stopped. Is this correct?

Thanks.

#8 DeniseB

DeniseB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

Re-registering didn't make any difference ... although I noted that there were additional instructions for 64-bit operating systems ... sorry to be thick but how do I find out if I've got a 32 or 64-bit system?

Now going to try Re-installing it ...

Thanks.

D.

PS To anyone else out there who isn't overly confident about carrying out these tasks (and it took me all day to pluck up courage to go into the Registry) ... provided you follow the instructions to the letter it's actually OK!

#9 DeniseB

DeniseB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

Have just tried to Reinstall WI as per Method 2 in the article. Steps 1-3 seemd to go fine. When I got to step 4:

At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:
ren msi.dll msi.old
ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old
ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old

I typed in the first line and pressed enter and got a message that it couldn't find the file. I typed it again ... just in case but got the same answer. I checked, double checked and triple checked my typing.

Any ideas? Thanks.

D.

#10 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

The command prompt isn't looking in the correct directory if it can't find the files. I don't know where it supposed to be looking in your case, but in the command prompt window, the folder your working in is displayed at the beginning of each line. In order to remove or rename any files, you need to be working in the same folder that the files are located in. (In my case, those files are located in C:\WINDOWS\system32) To direct the command prompt to this folder, type:
cd C:\WINDOWS\system32 and press enter.

If the commant prompt is directed to a different drive by default (if it says, for example, D:\> when you open it, simply type C: and press enter. Then use the "cd" command to navigate to the correct folder.

Edited by .Prodigy., 23 June 2006 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image

#11 DeniseB

DeniseB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:50 PM

Nope, it's definately directed at c: I've tried to cut and paste a screen shot into this reply (just to convince you) but it won't paste.

I've run a search for the file and it is in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

PS Sorry - just noticed it was directed to a different directory within C: Changed it now, and going to reboot to see if it works.

Thanks.

D.

Edited by DeniseB, 23 June 2006 - 12:58 PM.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

To find your Windows Version click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information.

#13 DeniseB

DeniseB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Enthusiast ... unfortunately got message "Can't collect Information. Network error occured in connecting to Windows Management Instrumentation. Ensure network connection functioning properly". H-m-m?

I've now reinstalled Windows Installer and updated to 3.1 v2 ... and still not working! I'm testing it out by trying to uninstall a programme via Add/Remove Programmes that I don't use ... no joy ... same old message.

Thanks.

D.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:19 PM

Since you have already performed method 1, and method 2 is for W2K, try methods 3,4 and 5.

#15 DeniseB

DeniseB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:41 PM

Sorry? W2K? and where do I find methods 3,4 and 5? I was referring to the resolutions provided in the link provided by David and yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users