Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 10. Available??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

Greetings. Recently, I had to re-install my O/S, Windows 7.Pro. Along with that came Internet Explorer 8 and now I want to ujpgrade that to IE10. I do not want to go to IE11 because it messes my printer up. Now, if I go to the Microsoft downloads, there is no offer at all to download 10. Can anybody tell me why and what options do I have. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

You can just use Windows Update to download it :)  .   Do a manual check for updates, just don't select Internet Explorer 11.

Edited by daveydoom, 14 January 2015 - 04:18 PM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

You could also visit http://support.microsoft.com/product/internet-explorer/internet-explorer-10/ .

Louis

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

Thank you both.  I did got to update and there was one to update to IE 11 and I unchecked the box but there was no option or box to check to update to IE10 as for the suggestion by Louis, there is nothing on that page that will allow me to download IE 10. Although I was able to pick the subject (Internet Explorer 10) there was no futher course to downloading it. Apparently Microsoft doesn't want people to go to IE 10 and are pushing IE11 which I do not want to do. Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

Sorry, but it appears that you are correct about Microsoft intent.  In prior years, they had an inventory of each version available for download...now, it seems that the only download possible is the most current version for an O/S.

I could guess at the reasoning behind this, but it really doesn't matter what the reasoning is.

In any case...never download a critical element of Windows from any site other than the MS site.

Louis

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

What is the consequence of not using it at all. I mean, as a computer novice, I am not aware that if I have to have it. I know therer are ujpdates which may be critical to the operation of the computer which I will allow, but do I really need Internet explorer?

#7 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

I did got to update and there was one to update to IE 11 and I unchecked the box but there was no option or box to check to update to IE10 

That's odd, I just did the same thing less than a week ago (for a different reason) and IE10 was available for download as well as IE11.   

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

What is the consequence of not using it at all. I mean, as a computer novice, I am not aware that if I have to have it. I know therer are ujpdates which may be critical to the operation of the computer which I will allow, but do I really need Internet explorer?

IE is an integral part of Windows so you can't uninstall it. But many of us use alternative browsers like Chrome or Firefox. 

#9 nancyagain

nancyagain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

I think it ok to use Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7, as I know, many people still use Windows 7, not Windows 8 or Windows 10.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

Direct DL links IE 10:

IE 10 (32 bit) http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/A/C/8AC7C482-BC74-492E-B978-7ED04900CEDE/IE10-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe

IE 10 (64 bit) http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/E/0/CE0AB8AE-E6B7-43F7-9290-F8EB0EA54FB5/IE10-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe

HTH :)

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

Neither of those 2 links works for me.

But the ones here work for me in Firefox and IE8:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/i-need-to-download-internet-explorer-10-for/9e9602f1-a9ef-40ce-b99a-357110773f9b .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Louis: Those are the same exact links I posted. :unsure:

Works for me in FFox 34.0.5

[attachment=160495:Capture.PNG]

Edited by Union_Thug, 15 January 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#13 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

I tried all of the sites suggested, same story. Right now, I'm glad I opted to read all updates before downloading since I probably would have been back with IE11 and printer problems. I'll just keep trying and maybe 10 will become available again. I'm stuck with IE 8, so I'll just use a differenct browser. The beat goes on.

#14 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

I gave it one more try using the 32 bit website suggested by Union_Thug and IT WORKED!!!.  I now have IE10, case solved. Thanks to everybody.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

Glad you solved it :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users