Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting With Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JaiGuru

JaiGuru

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could walk me through the process of getting my computer to dual boot XP and Windows 95. See, I had this old Packard Bell Legend 220CD (A 450 model) from back in 93 that was sitting around for years. A few days ago I got curious about what was still on it and tried to boot it up. Battery was dead. Oh well. So I pull out the hard drive and put it in y newer computer and it's still fine. It does have an install of windows 95 already on it and what I want to do is tell my computer to boot only that drive and run the windows 95 instead of the XP already on my current hard drive. I don't know if this is possible but I'll list some information about my current computer to help0 anyone along who may be interested in helping me with this.

Current Computer: Compaq Pressario S6000V
1.24 GB RAM
2.5 GHz Pentium 4
Windows XP Home Edition SP 2
drives are listed as basic and my new hard drive has 147GB's to spare, with one partition.
THe new drive: FAT 32
The Old drive FAT (also it's 850 mb....lol)
I currently have my older drive set to boot first.
Chip Set: 845G
Chipset COmponents-
memory controller: 82845G/GE/GL/GV
I/O Controller: 82801DB (ICH4)

The Drive with Windows 95 was pulled from a box with FOD: 4504x4
I also have access to a variety of DOS bootdisks. I was pretty young when DOS was the way of the world so I never really learned much about, but if they can help, they're at our disposal.

If there's any other information you need, just ask and I'll be happy to get it to you. I know I will probably have to edit my Boot.ini and have been trying to learn more about it but I'm finding it difficult to figure out what these paths mean. t any rate, thanks for considering my request for help!

Matt

Edited by JaiGuru, 22 June 2006 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:30 PM

I think it will be easier to replace the battery in the old computer than it would be to get the old hard drive to boot on the new computer.

Normally for dual booting xp the older OS needs to be installed first, then an XP install will detect the existing installation and let you set up dual booting.

IMHO Win 95 was a horribly buggy OS and deserved to die well before it was replaced by the bug-ridden Win 98.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

See if this helps:

Multibooting with Windows XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../multiboot.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users