Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REALLY Old Computer - Upgrade or New?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theonlybuster

theonlybuster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

This is more of an OS question, but I figured since the third option would be to purchase a new computer this thread would be best here.

I'm helping a guy set-up/fix his small business office network.  It's a small company of about 6 computers and 1 computer acting as a server (7 total).
He's running Win XP on ALL computers. 

Average specs are older dual core 2GHz CPUs (479 Socket if I'm not mistaken), 1GB of RAM, stock GPU.  Very simple computers.

The business owner and his co-owner are debating on whether to upgrade the OS on the computers or to simply purchase new computers (and software). 

IF the OS is upgraded, the only additional upgrades will be more RAM for a max of 2GB, NOTHING else hardware-wise will be touched.

The type of work is simple data-entry type work.  Nothing too extreme, just VERY simple computers.  The work and software they're currently using handles fine on the current computers.  This is simply desire to catch up with the times. 

First question is would it be better to upgrade the OS or buy new computers. 
Second question is IF upgrading is the better direction of action, what OS would you recommend (of course Win 7 or Win 8)? 

Again, just looking for simple insight. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

I feel they would be ahead of the game finding a package deal through one of the major venders, only a few months back my work place got 12 low end Win 7 work only units quite reasonably through Dell.  I was not pr ivied to the actual cost but was told they were spit cheap.  The other avenue would be to buy off lease units, they always pop up on Ebay and the like. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Yes yes.  Error on my fault.  I should have said the "new" computers would be used computers that were once leased out. 

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Hi there.. Obviously buying upgrade licenses and more memory is going to be cheaper than buying whole new computers with windows 7 on them.

I would suggest however you upgrade all the pc's to at least 4Gb of ram as even this small upgrade will provide better performance even with windows xp. 8GB would be ideal when/if you upgrade to win 7.

Download the windows 7 upgrade readiness tool on the pc's in question.

You can probably get away with using windows 7 home premium on all the pc's depending on how your currently using one as ' a server ' And simply getting a nice Network Attatched Storage system for ' file sharing '.

If your really looking to speed loading/boot/application load times things up for these computers an SSD would also help; Though expensive, smaller sizes are not horribly priced and if you get the NAS as stated all your storage files can be placed there.

Good Luck !

#5 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:32 AM

The current Mobos max out at 2GB of RAM, like I said REALLY old computers.  So upping them to 4GB of RAM will only leave the user with 2 GB usable and the other 2 wasted.  This includes the server that's currently already maxed at 2GB. 

They're not looking for speed or high end performance, they just feel out-dated with WinXP and want to watch up with the time.  They're not using any heavy programs, and the largest file they'll transfer is maybe a few Megabytes

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

Even the crapiest of socket 479 dual core mainboards I can think of supported 8gb on the system mainboard even though win xp only supports up to 2 gig.

The board usually supports more than the OS can see in a lot of cases anyway unless your running ultimate versions of OS / servers.

Run this tool and lets take a closer look.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

~Yeah

Edited by YeahBleeping, 16 January 2015 - 07:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users