Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Group Policy Client Service Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

New Asus laptop, Windows 8.1. 

Past day or so, been getting a new message upon boot-up (bottom right-hand corner, yellow pop-up message box that disappears after twenty seconds or so):

"Failed to connect to a Windows service.  Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client Service.  This problem prevents standard users from signing in."  Message then tells me that as Admin I can log into my settings or history (or something) and find out what the problem is. 

Otherwise, laptop appears to be working fine.

Questions:

1.  What does this error message mean?

2. How do I use my Admin privileges to step-by-step resolve the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

Okay, someone else posted a similar question at answers.microsoft a few years back.  Here was one person's response:

It looks like during reboot a vital registry settings were lost during crash and Group Policy Client "doesn't know" how to start.  Let me explain:

There are two places to look in the registry:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services this path should contain gpsvc key (a folder), which is responsible for service parameters and configuration.  I found that the key was intact, so, you do not touch anything here - just check that the key exists.
  2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SVCHOST This is the most important path you should look into, as it must contain the keys and values referred in the key #1.  Below are descriptions what must be present there.
  • There must be Multi-String value called GPSvcGroup. My laptop was missing it.  So, you should create multi-string value named GPSvcGroup and assign it value GPSvc.
  • Next, you must create a key (a folder) and name it GPSvcGroup - this key normally should be there, but, again, it was missin on my laptop.
  • Then open newly-created GPSvcGroup folder and create 2 DWORD values:
  1. First called AuthenticationCapabilities and you must give it a value of 0x00003020 (or 12320 in decimal)
  2. Second is called CoInitializeSecurityParam and it must have value of 1.

Once you complete all steps above, reboot the computer and the problem will be fixed.

Does this response make sense, and in plain English, what am I supposed to do?   

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

I read through the solution you found on the web even though you failed to link it.  It appears viable.  He even posted a video to assist with the same solution.  In plain english you have been told in the post and in the video what to do not sure how we can elaborate.

#4 BlowJoe

BlowJoe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

I see AuthenticationCapabilities and CoInitializeSecurityParam already there...except it is under the key LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation. Does that not count as what you're talking about above? Or does it have to be in the key GPSvcGroup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users