Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Average lifetimes for toshiba hardware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

Has anyone got an idea of the average lifetime of toshiba laptop hardware, for the current and previous generation of laptops? About how long do these systems last before developing a hardware problem with something like the hard-drive, CPU or another critical component, specifically if they are under regular and slightly heavier than average use? For example how long a lifetime would you expect for a Toshiba Satelite pro laptop used for about 6 hours (averaged over a long period) daily with about two hours of highly CPU intensive activity (3d computer graphics)per week, kept flat and well ventilated on a desk in a room temperature environment?
I know of old desktop systems lasting decades but I don't know if laptops in general and/or modern hardware in general is built with such long term reliability in mind.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 14 January 2015 - 01:26 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

IMO...that question might be better answered at a Toshiba user forum, if anywhere.

The simple fact is that a hard drive can fail anytime and any man-made object is subject to human error...so I would be reluctant to accept any answer provided that goes beyond the warranty period.  There's a reason why there is a warranty period and why those variable-period warranties have sprung up.

Louis

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Toshiba makes some very robust laptops.  Dinged corners and cracked screens are not that common.  The drives have also shown some resiliance to rough handling.  Advanced lines like the Quismo seldom see much portable use as they are mostly gaming.  They do suffer from a soldered down adapter connector that breaks loose and pulls up traces from the board.  Cooling is critical and gaming pushes them to the max.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

Notebook Check

As stated above Hardware can go out at any time.  Its just the way it is.  Obviously you do not want to see any failure within 6 months or so but it can happen. 

This laptop was reviewed in 2012 which means your system is around 3 years old.  Can things go wrong? certainly.  If you read the review.. just a quick glance says that its ' not very sturdy'.

In the end doing your homework before you buy works out better in the long run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users