Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up Registry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hi All

Could someone help me understand about backing up the registry. By this I mean if I have a corrupted Windows 7 installation will restoring a recently backed up registry effectively restore my computer to an earlier time. What is the difference between using a registry backup and Windows restore?

Thank you

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Using Registry backups allow you to keep the additional data that you have entered since then and still get your machine up and going; System Restore has only fixed points (unless you have the habit of creating Restore Points before doing any change) so if you have to rollback then you might lose application data.

And registry backups can be saved to other places, like any backup :wink:

Edited by Alexstrasza, 14 January 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

A registry backup will only be of value...if you have a damaged Windows registryl.  It is no panacea for any other situation.

The Windows registry is part of the Windows O/S...an important part, but only part of it.  Your registry can be perfectly fine and Windows can have other problems that hinder proper functioning of Windows.

A corrupted install doesn't necessarily indicate a corrupted registry...since there are many Windows files which are not registry files.

To overcome a corrupted install which does not point the finger at a corrupted registry...the best tool is a full backup previously made which is without problems, IMO.

I also add the file corruption can be the result of a damaged hard drive...so I would check the drive before attempting any type of restorative action.

The Windows System Restore function does an automatic backup of registry, as part of the SR function.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2015 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users