Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon HD 6870 Drivers Issue on Fresh Install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vexion

Vexion

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hi all,

I have a desktop running a fresh install of Windows 8.1 with a Radeon HD 6870 that's not working. I can't get into safe mode or force Windows to swap back to the onboard graphics chip, so I can't even use Windows -- it goes to a black screen once it boots.

BACKGROUND:

Video crashed when my wife tried installing/playing Far Cry 3. It displayed some lines across the screen then went black. Stayed that way even after rebooting.

I tried everything, but all I could do to use the computer was boot into safe mode (this was on Windows 7, previously). I couldn't install/uninstall anything on safe mode, and system restore/rolling back video drivers didn't work.

Eventually I reformatted and installed Windows 8.1

It worked for a bit... then Windows Update tried to grab drivers for the video card. At first it failed to install the drivers. So I went into Windows Update, unticked all other updates, and watched it work on installing the drivers. Then, the same thing happened: it threw some lines across the screen then went black. The computer is still on, and working as far as I can tell, but the video is all black.

Now, I have a problem: I can no longer boot into safe mode! For some reason (as I read on a blog), F8/Shift+F8 aren't working because I have a UEFI BIOS and it's too fast booting to allow me to interrupt and boot into recovery mode. But every time I allow Windows to fully boot up normally, I just get a black screen after the Windows splash. I can't use the computer this way to tell it to switch back to onboard graphics or to use msconfig to tell it to boot into safe mode next time. I can't just unplug the video card and use the onboard graphics directly -- there's no DVI port on the back of the motherboard; it passes through the video card.

Help! Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chaz69allen1

chaz69allen1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

has your pc ever crashed in the past while watching heavy youtube HD or strenuous gaming?

#3 Vexion

Vexion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

has your pc ever crashed in the past while watching heavy youtube HD or strenuous gaming?

Never. This is the first time it's crashed, and it's not acting like a video card heat issue. According to my wife, it crashed before Far Cry 3 was running, when UPlay (DRM) came up. And it worked fine with onboard video drivers on the fresh Windows 8 install before Windows Update tried to install the AMD drivers.

#4 chaz69allen1

chaz69allen1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Does the PC continue to run while at the black screen?  A friend of mine was having issues of losing video in the middle of games/anything.  Come to find out, it was his cat brushing up against the HDMI cable wiggling the connection loose.

#5 Vexion

Vexion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

Does the PC continue to run while at the black screen?  A friend of mine was having issues of losing video in the middle of games/anything.  Come to find out, it was his cat brushing up against the HDMI cable wiggling the connection loose.

Yes, it's still running, as far as I can tell. No change in fan sound, no beeping... But I'm not sure how I can figure out if it's still running 100% correct minus the video!

Any guesses on how I might get the computer back into safe mode, since F8 won't work with a UEFI BIOS?

#6 chaz69allen1

chaz69allen1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

sorry to bug, what are the specs of your computer?  Also, you'r using DVi vs HDMI correct?  Have you walked the dog on verifying all internal hardware is seated properly, and maybe a different PCIe slot for the Gpu.  Any new luck getting into BiOS?

Edited by chaz69allen1, 14 January 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#7 Vexion

Vexion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

sorry to bug, what are the specs of your computer?  Also, you'r using DVi vs HDMI correct?  Have you walked the dog on verifying all internal hardware is seated properly, and maybe a different PCIe slot for the Gpu.  Any new luck getting into BiOS?

So I can't boot up the computer properly and I'm trying to remember from old Newegg invoices... It's an ASRock P67 Extreme4 mobo, an i5-2500k, the Radeon HD 6870, the harddrive is a 1TB WD Caviar Black, the RAM I'm not sure of. I have reseated everything. No dice.

I can get into BIOS just fine, but (as far as I can tell) I can't tell Windows to boot into Safe Mode from BIOS. The best I can do is change boot device order etc. So even if I can get into BIOS I can't get into the WIndows boot options menu and select Safe Mode or anything else. And once the Windows splash goes away, the screen goes black.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

When you start your computer and get to the boot menu (press F8 repeatedly when you turn on your computer) you should have the option in win 8 to enable low resolution video.  This does not work?

Edited by YeahBleeping, 14 January 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

Sorry I just read more about you saying you cant get to the boot menu.  A uefi bios shouldnt keep you from getting to the console.  Do you see the press (some key) to get into bios?  If you can get into the bios disable fast boot.

#10 Vexion

Vexion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Hey all! Sorry for not checking back in on this. Finally got the computer working again. Turns out my video card had just kicked the bucket entirely. I swapped it out for another one and it works like a charm.

Thanks for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users