Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Video to Linux screensaver converter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Where can I find a program to convert a video file to a Linux screensaver? I can only find programs that create windows scr files. I need one to make a Linux screensaver. preferable a Windows program that has multi-OS screensaver export capability. this screensaver will be used on Ubuntu 14.4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Take a look at anibg. It's old but might work for you. 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,004 posts
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Use video file as a screensaver?

I do not use a screensaver because I have a LDC monitor. I prefer my monitor to shut down when not in use eg after 15 minutes.

IMO screensavers are not needed with LCD and only shorten a LCD screens life.

#4 cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,952 posts
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:26 AM

IMO screensavers are not needed with LCD and only shorten a LCD screens life.

Very true, and ASUS recommends to, at a minimum, set the screensaver to blank after 5 minutes of inactivity. 

I choose to shut down my monitors after 10 minutes, and have a blank screensaver after 5. Those of my notebooks also, those are LCD screens. The ASUS monitor mentioned is actually LED, however the same applies. 

Seems that the original intent of screensavers were to prevent permanent damage to older CRT monitors from still images burning into those, some of which are still in use. Today, few uses these, for starters they're bulky and takes up half of one's desk space, these also uses more energy, and forget HD content on one of those. 

While some are huge fans of exotic screensavers, I never have been, instead choosing to extend my monitor's life & saving energy, quality ones are more costly than some mid-range GPU's, and I cannot afford to replace these often. Taking proper care of these greatly extends the life, as long as there's no manufacturing defect. Normally this will be discovered way before the warranty runs out. 

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users