Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question On Browsers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John S

John S

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:19 PM

I have a question, I'm on netzero ans out Opera as my browser. I though that netzero controled the speed of the browser and netzero's is slow so I put Opera and it is much faster. Why is netzero so slow????????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hey John S,

Some browsers are naturally faster than others, such as I believe Firefox is faster than Internet Explorer. I don't think there is a real reason why browsers differ in speed, but I think that different technology used increases speed. I think that Opera uses a page display speed up system, which means pages appear to load much faster - the AOL browser uses a similar way of making their pages appear faster. Also, some browsers start-up at different speeds. On the contrary, I think Internet explorer loads much faster than Firefox, but the benefit of increased page loading speed is what persuades me to use Firefox over internet explorer.

I found this quote on the net a while back, which is an interesting comparison of how browsers think they are the fastest - "Many organisations and users try to claim that their browser is the fastest. The Opera site claims that Opera is The Fastest Browser on Earth!. The Mozilla site claims that Firefox 1.0 empowers you to browse faster (faster than what?). Mozilla itself is quoted as being an alternative to Microsoft IE and it's faster to boot. Apple's Safari pages claim that Safari loads pages more quickly than any other Mac web browser (although they failed to show any results for Opera, and their charts fail to show results for pages that contain images). Internet Explorer users often claim that they use it because of its speed, as the alternatives take longer to start and load pages.".

Here is a link that goes into way more detail and shows various browser speed tests:
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

I hope this helps somewhat,
David

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

Using the same download speed, which is controlled by your ISP, different browsers were perform differently. I have found, for example, that either Firefox or Opera are significanly faster FOR ME. Differences are generally the result of using different programme techniques or different rendering engines- - -that is how each handles the downloading of data. Since all the major variants are free for the downloading, you can "test drive" each and see not only which is faster, but which offers more of what you normally require.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 22 June 2006 - 04:32 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 John S

John S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

I have opera, can I download FireFox and try it with out the two messing one of them up ???????

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

Absolutely. I almost exclusively use Firefox, but have Opera installed and use it occasionally. I have never had either of these conflict with one another.
Regards,
John

#6 John S

John S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

Absolutely. I almost exclusively use Firefox, but have Opera installed and use it occasionally. I have never had either of these conflict with one another.
Regards,
John

Thanks I'll give it a try.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

Actually I should thank you, because our dialogue reminded me to download the new version of Opera!
Cheers,
John

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:15 AM

Hi John S.

The advice to try different browsers and see which meets your needs is good stuff.

I use IE6 as my Yahoo home page, Opera for my GMail, and Firefox to come straight to this site.

IE is pretty useless in my opinion but you do need it for MS updates and some other sites. It can be improved by installing FoxIE which tabs it and has a number of good features. Seems to be offline at the moment though.

Firefox is good but needs some extensions, of which there are 1000's, to personalise it. It can also be 'pipelined' to increase speed.

For me, OPERA 8.5 does everything I want well.

Have fun experimenting. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 John S

John S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

Will I tryed firefox and it worked good, doesn't seem any faster then opera. It dod mess with the opera default, so I had to get opera download again. I will look at foxIE, too.

#10 John S

John S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

Hi John S.

The advice to try different browsers and see which meets your needs is good stuff.

I use IE6 as my Yahoo home page, Opera for my GMail, and Firefox to come straight to this site.

IE is pretty useless in my opinion but you do need it for MS updates and some other sites. It can be improved by installing FoxIE which tabs it and has a number of good features. Seems to be offline at the moment though.

Firefox is good but needs some extensions, of which there are 1000's, to personalise it. It can also be 'pipelined' to increase speed.

For me, OPERA 8.5 does everything I want well.

Have fun experimenting. Cheers

I downloaded Opera 9 and had 8.5 , but I like 9 too it is fast as any of them for me. Thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users