Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing with Flash, or something else?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lazee

Lazee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

Hi all, first post here. A few days ago my Windows 7 64 laptop started freezing with any Flash-related function; youtube, online banking, a forum with YT embedded on the front page, etc. The freezing was total, nothing responded, not even ctrl alt del. The screen was unchanged but nothing was moving. Happens in Firefox and Chrome.

IoBit showed CPU and RAM weren't overloaded. It is also happening with the music player Foobar 2000 within a few seconds of pressing play, which makes me question if it is a Flash problem, I don't know if Foobar uses Flash.

I've run Malwarebytes which cleaned out some old stuff I knew about, which hadn't been causing a problem. An AVG scan was all clear.

I've updated Adobe Flash and the Shockwave Flash plugin in Firefox, uninstalled the Windows Updates from 9th Jan, and am out of ideas. Any help gratefully received.

Edit to add: it also freezes in the media players MPC and VLC when trying to open movies.

Edited by Lazee, 14 January 2015 - 12:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Lazee

Lazee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hamluis, many thanks for your reply. I just tried a System Restore to five days ago before my last Windows Update and that seems to have fixed the problem. I will have some more work now though in undoing other changes. If the problem returns I will apply your suggestion. Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

:thumbup2: , nice work, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users