Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying computers/laptops in bulk in Enterprise/Company, a waste?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Alright so I just finished unpacking 8 brand new Lenovo desktop tower at work to push our custom Windows 7 image on them, and once again I went through a process which looks like I'm the only tech here doing. Removing every instruction manuals and DVDs from the box, then removing every DVDs from their envelope and putting these in the recycle bins, while I trash all these brand new DVDs. I've done that hundred of times already and the only thing I can think of is what a waste it creates. All that paper, all these DVDs, etc. that could be saved and shipped with computers/laptops for actual home users that would need them. What's the point of including these in the boxes of delivery for companies when you know that they won't use them and push custom images on them? I wish there was some kind of way to ask the manufacturer you're ordering from to not include these in the boxes. It's ridiculous to amount of waste you get out of it, while all this could be saved.

Anyone here can relate to it or understand what I mean?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

ya. we build our own PCs but every MotherBoard comes with a CD. we keep one just incase but I know what you mean by having alot of waste

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

We keep a single copy of every CD/DVD we get with our routers, switches, desktop, laptop, etc. that we give to our "Image/Deployment" team, for future usage. But other than that, we don't need the 500 copies we receive after.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

Sounds to me like that is the sort of thing that should be covered in terms of sale/purchase when buying in bulk...from whomever.

If buying small quantities from retailers, then you should get the full retail treatment, IMO.

Louis

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Within the corporate/enterprise structure.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

I just watched your video Animal, and I can totally relate to that, not only in this situation, but also between the company I work for itself. Lack of communication between the teams. It's improving right now, but there's always times where you have to go see a member from another team to ask him a question because there's no documentation, but then he tells you to go see another guy because he's the one who should have done it and blabla. A "circlejerk" is the expression for that I think?

unite_blue.png

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

I'm willing to bet that in the specific incident you cite. About unpacking the 8 computers and the extra discarded material you have. That the person who communicated and or negotiated the order, with the vendor who supplied the computers. Ever mentioned that the extra materials supplied should be removed before shipping. I don't know of a single vendor that has the ability to read their clients minds. Yet clients are all ready to bash them for lack of that ability.

Now if removal of said content WAS communicated and did not happen. Then your organization has every right to complain to the vendor, and have their 'failure to communicate' situation reviewed.

I know from experience that in the fast paced business world we have today that far too many assumptions are made when the act of communicating happen. You would be surprised how many people get annoyed when I end a conversation with customers and say. Excuse me if this has been said but I feel it's important we review and possibly state the obvious, but I want to be clear everything is covered. And easily 7 our of 10 times something or several somethings was or were assumed and it would have been an issue. The annoyance at that small thing almost always dissipates very quickly.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users