Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 & excell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobfeather

bobfeather

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

sorry for the length, but here goes

bought a laptop , really liked windows 7 that I have on desk top so went with 7   using both computers, so I moved all programs & stuff from desk top to lap top, including office xp, which has word, excel etc   & works perfectly on desk top   , but when I transfer excel files from desk top to lap top, excel can't open them ?  also notice that on desktop, files have the little green excell  symbol, but  when loaded on lap top, it dis-appears

the goofy part is, when I transferred  about a dozen files from desk to lap, 2 of the files looked the same ( green icon ) the other 10 lost the icon & can't be opened    even when I click  " open with "  , I can't get the excel program to even show up on the list    if I click on one of the files that has the green icon, it automatically opens with excel   hope that's not too confusing

also, both computers have the same copy of office xp ( legal )  and ran micro soft up-dates , service packs etc

getting by by installing some excel editor free program I found, but the excel issue is drving me nuts

any suggestion would be welcome   thanks

bob

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2015 - 11:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Have you tried going one or two steps further than 'Open with' ? 

When you click 'Open with' you should have an option 'Choose default program'. If you click this you will get an expanded box pop up with a 'Browse' button. Use this to find your way to the 'Excel.exe' file in your Office folder in Program files, then make sure that the 'Always use this for this type of file' button is ticked.

This should solve your problem. I move files from one computer to another fairly regularly and on the rare occasions I have had this sort of problem, this process has resolved it for me. If it doesn't work for you, post back.

Chirs Cosgrove

#3 bobfeather

bobfeather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

ok, got it so excel is the default program to open the files with, and when I made it the default, the icons next to the files changed, not to the green box with an x at the top corner, but  some thing similar     tried downloading a brand new xl file, when it got saved it was now an xlsx file, and when you open with excel, you geta page of numbers / letters / jibberish   when I download & save the same file on my desk top, says  it is Microsoft excel worksheet   xls

bob

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

I had to go and look up Office XP, I wasn't aware of the existence of that version but I see that it comes between Office 97 (which I used to use) and Office 2003 (my present version).

To the best of my knowledge and belief, all versions of Excel up to and including 2003 produced files in the native format .XLS, versions from Office 2007 on produced files in the format .XLSX and the various versions of Office are not forward compatible. By that I mean that versions 2003 and earlier cannot natively read the .XLSX file format, hence the gibberish you refer to. To get round this problem Microsoft produced a range of file converters to allow older versions to open the later file formats, and these are available as a free download  from MS. I know they work for 2003 because I have them installed on my own computer, I don''t know if they will work for Office XP. Here is the MS link -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3

Since you say these files are all your own I don't quite understand where files of .XLSX type are coming from unless you have the converter pack already installed on your desktop and have 'Save as' set to save as 'Type Excel 2007 (.XLSX)'. If this is the case, then installing the converter pack on your second computer should solve the problem.

You should also be aware that Office XP is fairly old software and MS stopped supporting it some time ago. Have you considered going over to the free alternatives of either Open or Libre Office ?  Both of these are compatible with both types of Excel file and have the advantage of being modern and supported software.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 bobfeather

bobfeather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

appreciate the interest & replies, wish I could say what I did to fix things, but the program seems  to be working fine now & converting old & new excel files

only thing I can think of is, I did 2 windows/ Microsoft up-dates today & it added about 40 up-dates       thinking some of them corrected issues with the old xp program

thanks for the tip about open & libre office  definitely looking in to those programs

seems like  a ton of computer knowledge on this website   again  thanks

bob

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

I'm glad you have got it solved, but I don't think your recent downloads did it since MS stopped supporting Office XP about 4 years ago !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 bobfeather

bobfeather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

pretty sure you are right chris, just happy it is resolved   I did download  open office  on my desk top computer  & have used it    really seems like a good alternative

it is going on the lap top next   thanks for the suggestion

bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users