Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't boot (Appears to be memory issue)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blue_suns

blue_suns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hello,

So yesterday when I started up my computer it failed to boot. When I power it on, the only thing it does is beep (one short, one long), nothing even comes up on the screen. The fans are still working and the LED for the motherboard is on as well (not sure if that's a good thing or not). I looked up what the beeps meant and apparently it's a memory/hardware issue. I would suspect it's the RAM since it would always run near capacity when I ran the computer. I took it out to see if anything was wrong with it but it I see nothing wrong with it.

Is this simply a RAM problem? Or is it something else?

It is a Compaq Presario CQ5700Y running Windows 7

The RAM on the computer is a 2GB 2Rx8 PC3 10600U

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

It could be as simple as reseating the RAM, or it could be bad. If you have any other DDR3 RAM you could try swapping in it to test that would tell you if the original one is just bad.

Edited by Aerys, 14 January 2015 - 12:16 PM.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 blue_suns

blue_suns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

I don't have another RAM module to test it with. I reseated the RAM (I think) but it's still the same problem.

That's why I wanted to get a second opinion before I buy another one to see if that's the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users