Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen At Boot; Power Switch?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jercgirl

jercgirl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

hello to all - I am having a weird problem with my PC. It's a gateway, about 5 years old. I was running Windows XP home, and it was fine until a few weeks ago. Upon booting up, it went thru windows screen, also BIOS and then instead of the 'windows is starting up' message, I get the dreaded black screen with "Operating System Not Found." I resigned myself to having to re-install everything because my HD crashed (I've already done it twice) - when suddenly it went back to 'normal' for about two weeks. It has done it again two days ago. The only strange symptom is that once I push the power button, I hear it click a number of times in quick sucession - but I haven't touched it again.

Can my switch have gone kaflooey and would that cause the black screen? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hi jercgirl.
The clicking noise you here at power up, the 'OS not found" message and the crashing are because your hard drive is near dead. If you can get it to boot, backup everything you need pronto. 5 years is a pretty good life for a hard drive. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 22 June 2006 - 02:47 PM.

#3 jercgirl

jercgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hi HitSquad:

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it was the button. Ah, well.

I'll see if I can get back into it. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users