Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace ssd, keep everything as it is?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JDGR

JDGR

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

To begin with, I wasnt sure if this topic should go to the hardware subforum or here, so please move if you deem it neccessary.

So, the story is, I have a 60gb ssd drive, for my windows 7 installation. (win 7 pro x64). Although I am keeping every possible software installed in my D: drive, after 2 years of use, the ssd drive is getting very low on space. I am constantly removing useless stuff and regularly declutter it but still.

(Right now there are only 2gb of free space, and since I ll be needing to install Visual studio soon, I ll need at least 5-6 gb more).

So, the question is, is there a way to change the drive but still keep everything as it is without the need of a clean install? Would an application like norton's ghost do the trick?

(sorry if ghost is obsolete for the past 10 years, but that was the last time I needed something like it).

Thanks a lot

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

Why dont you get an external hardrive and move everything over to that

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

Hi JDGR

As far as I'm aware the easiest way is to buy your new ssd (120GB for example)

And clone your original ssd to the new one (Will give 60+ GB spare)

lots of free software out there for this including Live Linux

Hope this helps and good luck

Hedge

EDIT just seen the above post I was assuming that just the os plus some extras was on your SSD and everything else on your D

that being said there are lots of ways to regain space on your SSD   

Edited by hedgeley, 14 January 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hi John,

The last ghost version available should work for Windows 7 but there are better free alternatives also check the SSD manufacture website because most of them will provide software to do the cloning.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 JDGR

JDGR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hi JDGR

As far as I'm aware the easiest way is to buy your new ssd (120GB for example)

And clone your original ssd to the new one (Will give 60+ GB spare)

lots of free software out there for this including Live Linux

Hope this helps and good luck

Hedge

EDIT just seen the above post I was assuming that just the os plus some extras was on your SSD and everything else on your D

that being said there are lots of ways to regain space on your SSD   

Yes, on the ssd there's just the os and only everything that gets installed or copied on c: without option to change the installation drive. Naah, there is not a good way to regain space without removing stuff i really need so I ll definately buy a new ssd. My question really was on if cloning would work.

(I dread the possibility that I ll need to reinstall win AND everything else AND retweek the whole thing as it is now). And yes, you did help :D thanks a lot

Hi John,

The last ghost version available should work for Windows 7 but there are better free alternatives also check the SSD manufacture website because most of them will provide software to do the cloning.

I think the manufacturer of my ssd recommends a software by acronis. I ll check it up. Thanks

Edited by JDGR, 14 January 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

Hi JDGR

Just to add windows disk cleanup will remove quite a surprising amount (old windows updates,old restore points etc). And I mean 10s of GBs

especially if you haven't done so for 2 years

All the best

Hedge 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users