Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup reccomendations with crypto-ransomware in mind

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JadeBlaze

JadeBlaze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

In my area I've had several people get some variant of encryption ransomware, and I was curious, what backup methoods/services/programs would be reccomended for keeping information safe should this happen?

I hear that many of these bugs can also encrypt usb drives and network shares, so I was a bit worried about reccomending hardware backup, but after trying to restore from Norton Online Backup for a customer as well as Carbonite and experiencing how agonizingly slow their services can be, I'm not too sure about online either.

Can someone help point me to a back up solution that is secure but also fast enough to be useable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:20 AM

From Fabian Wosar in his help thread:

Or use a good cloud based solution for your backups that provides strong encryption (so you can be sure that the cloud owner can't look at your data) and provides revisioning (so if you backed up encrypted files without noticing you can go back within the file's history). I use Crashplan for example. Costs me $5 a month. Completely worth it in my book.

#3 JadeBlaze

JadeBlaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:24 AM

awesome, have used crashplan in the past but didn't know they did revisioning.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

A free alternative (for smaller amounts of data) would be to manually backup files to google drive via the web browser interface when you are logged into gmail. If a file is private you would need to place it in an encrypted zip or 7z archive before upload. Files uploaded in this way will be safe from attack unless you have some sort of "sync"ed backup system which automaticvally updates the backups within google drive. You could also make this kind of upload to other email providers which let you store large attachments, or to other online backup and file hosting services, as long as it's a matter of "open browser-->visit site-->log in-->upload files-->log out-->close browser-->clear history,cookies and temp files" then the uploaded files should be safe.

Your mention of online backup services being agonizingly slow might be due to poor upload speeds on your connection (if it happens with all sites you try and upload files to), in this case you might think about backing up to cd or dvd discs, some of these are non-rewritable so couln't be edited by malware very easily, but you can't get much data on a cd or dvd disc so you would likely go through them rather fast.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Not everyone resides in areas that offer high speed Internet access and backing up online may not be practical for them. Below are other alternatives for backing up locally.

Disk Imaging & Backup Software:Free alternatives include:Note: If you have Western Digital hard disks, then you can download Acronis True Image WD Edition Software for free.

Other Options:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

I buy portable USB harddisks for my backups. Easy and fast.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:33 AM

Don't forget to disconnect your local external drives after performing a backup.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

"Don't forget to disconnect your local external drives after performing a backup. " Absolutely! Good advice. It's not a backup when it's still connected to the pc, especially not a backup against malware.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

I buy portable USB harddisks for my backups. Easy and fast.

Don't forget to disconnect your local external drives after performing a backup.

"Don't forget to disconnect your local external drives after performing a backup. "Absolutely! Good advice. It's not a backup when it's still connected to the pc, especially not a backup against malware.

I second that.

Also, consider a file server, such as a FTP server (LAN + fire-walled) with file read permission only, and write disabled.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#10 riopelnet112

riopelnet112

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:04 AM

Not everyone resides in areas that offer high speed Internet access and backing up online may not be practical for them. Below are other alternatives for backing up locally.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

Any reason you are repeating comments I already made? This is not the first topic you have done it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users