Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tor geoip error?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

I am running win 7 on a Pavlova P6 and I'm on an optic fiber connection with a gigabit NP805n Wi Fi router,I'm not using the Wi Fi just plugged into the router. I downloaded the new Tor version because I got a prompt to update it but I got this geoip error? This version looks different to the old one as well in that it hasn't got a ""Start Tor"" text to double click on? I can click on the bottom Vidalia and Tor starts but no browser starts up? When I ran the wizard I unticked the run at start-up option,other than that its the full program.Ive tried reinstalling this a few times and once it wouldn't work because it couldn't find a port to connect to as the firewall was stopping it ? I ticked the windows firewall boxes for Tor and Vidilia but still no go after a restart? Do I have to configure the router? I haven't used Tor for about 6 months,at least since Ive connected to the fiber network anyway? Ive been trying to get this to work all day and now I need some help, if anyone knows whats going on here I'm all ears.LOL

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 14 January 2015 - 08:16 PM.
Moved to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

Sorry, I forgot to attach the screenshot.When I click on the desktop shortcut it takes me to the screen shot page?

Attached Files

Edited by blueballs, 14 January 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#3 Wodim

Wodim

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I am confused. You mention Vidalia, but you also mention a browser popping up as if you were using the Tor Browser Bundle. Vidalia is simple a front end graphical plugin to manage your tor service if I am correct. It is like the AdvancedOR for Windows. You can either use the Tor Browser Bundle, which would not include the need for any third party proxies or the installation of the Tor service, you just launch the browser and it connects and runs.

Or, you can use Vidalia to manage your basic Tor service utility in combination with some Proxy routing apps. Setting vidalia aside, you could enable the tor service to run on specific listening and forwarding ports, which you would then use a proxy tool like Privoxy to intercept traffic and route it on the tor circuit. Then you would set the proxy settings in your regular browser to have the port listings that is set in the Tor service I believe. Once that is complete, your basic browser should be routed on to the Tor network, which could be confirmed at the site check.torproject.org

You may need to go into your Vidalia / Tor settings and change the listening port and forwarding port to have it work properly. I believe the port numbers are 8118 and 9050. But overall, Vidalia is very limited and simply clicking connect will not get you on the Tor network, and will not automatically take over your browser traffic, etc, unless you set up the proxy and ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users