Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade service or modem/router?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smo1898

smo1898

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

I have my ISP's second highest internet service at 18mbps, which has upheld just fine, but as I add more devices to it some seem to suffer. So would you recommend upgrading my modem/router or upgrading to their 45mbps service? Ideally I'd like to get the most bang for the buck. The service I have now handles my 4 main devices running netflix and playstation simultaneously just fine without lag and with quick loading, but the smaller devices (phones/tablets) seem to get the short end of the stick. Without spending unnecessary money what is my best bet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

what router do you have?  You may simply want to limit how much bandwidth each device gets. @ 18mbps you should have no problems here.

I can watch movies on my ps3 and game on my two pc's while my daughter uses my wifi on her laptop and phone with little to no problems at all and my speeds are less than half that.

Honestly unless all your ' connections ' are downloading vids and playing first person shooter online games.... You should have plenty of DL bandwidth... If anything it may be your upload speed suffering.  Or maybe your limited by your cablemodem. 

What kind of cablemodem do you have?

#3 smo1898

smo1898
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

My modem is the ATT provided 5031nv. 

I may have found the problem tho...The device that seemed to be suffering the most was my iphone, I had just recently replaced the power button on it and during the re assembly I lost a little copper piece used to make a better connection between the logic board and the wifi shield severely hindering the phones wifi range.

But any information on the modem and its abilities would still be appreciated.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

Pace 5031NV VDSL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users