Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Disable A Faulty Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

My HP Pavilion was used as a server before we got it.
The slave drive seems to be failing as I get a message
saying that a failure is eminent. I have to F1 on start up.
Can I disable the D drive or do I have to fiscally remove it.
I get a "Windows Delayed Write Failed" message if it sits idle for half an hour or so.
We don't use the drive, but it is the larger of the two so it would be nice to save it if possible.
I googled the failure and was advised by Billy Gates to amend the registry.
You can call me a cluebie, but the registry is sort of like my wifes purse, I don't go into that !

Thank you in advance
Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

The message about failure means that the drive's hardware is likely to fail soon. This means that the drive will become unusable for any purpose other than a doorstop. Back up your files from it now and remove it from the system before it fails permanently and you get stuck.

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

You may be able to disable the drive from the BIOS. How you get into the BIOS is machine-dependent, but I believe it is the F1 key on HP's.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

Physically removing the hardrive isn't all that big of a deal... just open up your case, disconnect the ide or sata cable and the power connector and voila a removed hardrive, now you have a doorstop, or something to take a hammer to (help destress).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users