Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Ping, Can't Browse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BaffledAndFrustrated

BaffledAndFrustrated

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

This started out as a Win 7 issue, but in frustration I installed Win 8 in hopes that a fresh install might fix the issue.  No luck there.  It is a Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge.  It came with Win 7 installed and Win 8 Disks.  I have several machines on my home network.  This is the only one affected and it had been working fine for a year or two.  I am not aware of any new software having been installed in the last several weeks (aside from Windows Updates).

I can ping from command line but I cannot browse.  I've checked my IE settings against another machine that is working.  There is no proxy.  I installed Chrome (from a thumb drive) and I get the same result.  In each case, the page will try to load for several minutes and eventually come back with a page unresponsive error.  I can open HTML files on my hard drive but cannot even browse to my router.  I cannot browse by IP.  I have released and renewed my IP address and flushed DNS.  IPv4 and IPv6 are both configured to used DCHP.  There are no entries in my hosts.ini file.  I have run McAfee Stinger and Norton Removal Tool.  I've rebooted countless times and even, as I've said, installed a new operating system.

I'm stumped.  Is there anything else I can do short of junking this thing and getting a new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Does this happen with both a wired and wireless connection?

#3 BaffledAndFrustrated

BaffledAndFrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

Wired Ethernet only.  This machine does not have wireless capability.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

Download the Network Adapter Repair utility and run it. Select Advanced Repair. Reboot.

If that does not work

What is the model number of the ThinkCentre Edge? In Device Manager, right click your network adapter, Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line.

This may be a hardware issue but to make sure you could download Fatdog64. Burn the iso file and boot. You should be able to connect to the internet. If you cannot, then it would be hardware related. I have used a USB Ethernet Adapter with success.

Fatdog64-631.iso

#5 BaffledAndFrustrated

BaffledAndFrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

JohnC_21,

Thank you for all the help.  It didn't solve my problem directly, but it got me pointed in the right direction.  Let's just say that it's NEVER the network cable, except when it is.  Let this post serve as yet another reminder to always check the basics before taking extreme steps.

Thanks again,

BaffledAndFrustrated

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update. I completely forgot to ask about the cable. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 January 2015 - 09:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users