Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

man, I miss my BATchfiles in DOS 3.3 - 6.22 :)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Within Windows 3.1 - Windows for Workgroups 3.11, I used DOS 3.3 - DOS 6.22.  I loved using my BATchfiles. I kept them all.  Does anyone remember:  If exist...  if not exist... choice  and so on?  After I had to goto Windows 95 & beyond, close to all batchfiles fell to the wayside  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

I remember trying to get every free kilobyte of base RAM I could with LOADHIGH and DEVICEHIGH and anything else. I think my best was 617 or 618K free.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

I kept my oldies on GoogleMyDrive, to remember those good ol' days! Did you use DOS-stuff such as WordPerfect, dBASE III & III+, Paradox,FoxPro, and so on? I even kept some of my configuration files as museum-pieces.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#4 gpence

gpence

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

PowerShell is the 2015 version of a .bat file... only with a supercharged, Hemi-powered, nitrous-oxide breathing engine!

Btw, I lived on VisiCalc, Lotus 1-2-3, dBase III and IV, Paradox, and FoxPro, but I *never* liked WordPerfect all that much. Give me Volkswriter any day! :-)

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

Ja, add EasyWriter II for DOS; DOS's setver, replace, assign, subst, etc.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

Within Windows 3.1 - Windows for Workgroups 3.11, I used DOS 3.3 - DOS 6.22.  I loved using my BATchfiles. I kept them all.  Does anyone remember:  If exist...  if not exist... choice  and so on?  After I had to goto Windows 95 & beyond, close to all batchfiles fell to the wayside   :)

If you do some computer administration I can assure you that batch files are very useful and more powerful comparing to what they did in the MS-DOS time.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,189 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

And batch files run under Wine or DOSbox in Linux, too (32 bit but I guess you might try 64-bit).  I need them for my DOS programs which I run in DOS windows in Win XP, 7, 98, and maybe (cross your fingers) Win10.  PC world forum participants tested making such windows in Win8 and claimed they worked.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

ahhh....the good ol' days

they call me te java mayster

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,189 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, old-fashioned batch files I can run in DOSbox, even in 64-bit.  Trick is to change the [autoexec] section of the author's .conf file, to mount the root directory, where batch files will be 'caught'.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

You can still do batch in Windows 10!

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

Yes, darling. :)

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

In the crudest sense any command line string can be a batch file can it not. Or at least a portion of one.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

In the crudest sense any command line string can be a batch file can it not. Or at least a portion of one.

Absolutely!  Any command line string or a set of such strings can be typed [or copied] into a text file, which is then changed from .txt to .bat

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

Since we are talking ancient history here anyone remember the comodor and basic.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:49 AM

Since we are talking ancient history here anyone remember the comodor and basic.

The Commodors?  Yeah, Three Times A Lady song!  I remember GWBasic, on disks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users