Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm sending spam??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevansky

stevansky

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

Last month some of my friends and relatives forwarded email to me that appeared to be from me that contained nothing but a link in the message body, and of course a friendly "I think your computer is infected". I scanned my computer and Spybot said that it found a trojan in my registry that I fixed and I figured problem solved. Later I was out of town for Christmas so I turned my computer off and had it disconnected from the network. Three days later I'm at my son's and he gets an email on his tablet from "me" and I'm not even home to send it or have even checked my mail remotely. I log into my email and sure enough there are notices that I have exceeded my limit and I'm temporarily blocked from sending email. So I go ahead and change my pw and security questions (sadly they don't offer 2 factor authentication....it's AT&T and Yahoo does their email). No problems after that until today when a couple of my friends again forward emails that purport to be from me with nothing but a link in them. I logged into my email and there are no notices, nothing in the sent folder, nothing.

I scanned my computer with this months Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, Avast!, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Malwarebytes. None of them found anything. The addresses in the emails I "sent" are strange too. Some of them are people I know, others are people or organizations I've never heard of, or I have but don't have them in my address book. What the heck is going on?? Any help or ideas are much appreciated.

Edited by Budapest, 13 January 2015 - 11:17 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for moving me to the correct category.

#3 ExplodingMonkey

ExplodingMonkey

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

Last month some of my friends and relatives forwarded email to me that appeared to be from me that contained nothing but a link in the message body, and of course a friendly "I think your computer is infected". I scanned my computer and Spybot said that it found a trojan in my registry that I fixed and I figured problem solved. Later I was out of town for Christmas so I turned my computer off and had it disconnected from the network. Three days later I'm at my son's and he gets an email on his tablet from "me" and I'm not even home to send it or have even checked my mail remotely. I log into my email and sure enough there are notices that I have exceeded my limit and I'm temporarily blocked from sending email. So I go ahead and change my pw and security questions (sadly they don't offer 2 factor authentication....it's AT&T and Yahoo does their email). No problems after that until today when a couple of my friends again forward emails that purport to be from me with nothing but a link in them. I logged into my email and there are no notices, nothing in the sent folder, nothing.

I scanned my computer with this months Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, Avast!, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Malwarebytes. None of them found anything. The addresses in the emails I "sent" are strange too. Some of them are people I know, others are people or organizations I've never heard of, or I have but don't have them in my address book. What the heck is going on?? Any help or ideas are much appreciated.

Hi Stevansky. I had basically the exact same problem about 6 years ago. My computer was sending out massive amount of SPAM via 3 different email accounts I had. My ISP after a few days blocked me from sending emails completely. I had to call them and expalin that I wasn't sending any of that crap. After dozens of scans by various anti-spyware/malware/virus programs, nothing had changed. I had to wipe my hard drive, and do a fresh install of Windows.

#4 NotAnElf

NotAnElf

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

It sounds like you may be experiencing two different issues (albeit likely from the same cause)

The first issue is that it looks like you ARE sending the mail (the emails that appear in your sent box). This would indicate Malware, so you did the right thing in scanning. I think we can presume the trojan was the cause of this.

The emails that appear to be sent from you (but aren't in your sent items) are unlikely to actually be coming from your mailbox (may be worth checking deleted items to make sure you don't have malware that is deleting the sent folder regularly). It is a technique called 'spoofing' and is not particularly hard for people who know how to do it.

As far as I am aware there is not much you can do for he second issue. If it was me personally I would wipe my PC (just to make sure) and from there create a new e-mail account. One thing to take note is they *usually* don't use your e-mail to send huge amounts as it gets blocked fairly quickly.

#5 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I sure hope I don't have to wipe everything, but sometimes drastic measures are necessary I suppose. So far nothing from anyone today about spam. From what I can tell I too think spoofing is what transpired during this last episode as I could find no evidence of my sending anything nor did anything show up when I logged into my account online regarding returned emails or notices about being blocked from sending mail.

#6 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:46 AM

I started to paste the URL into "Please post in this topic if you have not received help after three days" but I hate to take time away from those who are having much more serious issues than I am at the moment. So far no one else has notified me that I'm sending them spam so I'm thinking the later incidents were someone spoofing my email address. But I would like to scan my computer with something a little more thorough just to make sure something isn't lurking in the background that I've missed with the scans I've run myself. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users