Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A document is opening slower and s-l-o-w-e-r

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hi, 

all my Wordpad 'rich txt' documents open smoothly in the blink of an eye except for one i've called my  'Writeups' doc, I paste articles and items from around the net into it.

As I've added more items to it over the months, it's got slower to open and clunkier to scroll through, and is almost on the point of freezing.

I've tried juggling the 'Wordwrap to window/ no wrap/ wrap to ruler' settings but they have no effect in speeding it up.

Here's a typical section from it, do you think it's the clickable links in it  (blue text) that are slowing things down? There are dozens in there-

writeops_zps411dc227.jpg

I save it in Wordpad 'rich txt' format just like my other docs, and like I said they work fine.

Shall I try a different format for 'Writeups'? The other format options are-

Office open XML

Open docu text

Plain text docu

Other formats

but I know nothing about them.

I'm Win 7, any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

I've got about 30 various documents in my Docs folder on my system, most are less than 100KB, and a couple are around 17,000 KB, but amazingly my 'Writeups' doc is a gigantic 2,130,011KB. Yes two million!

But it's not physically bigger than some of my other docs so I can't understand why it's so huge KB-wise? 

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

If the document is that large, it will take time to load. You may want to try saving and working from it in plain text format.

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

If the document is that large, it will take time to load. You may want to try saving and working from it in plain text format.

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to want to play, it freezes and goes into 'Not responding' mode when I try to change it around.

No problem, I've now consigned the whole document to the cyber graveyard with a touch of the delete button, so good riddance to it and this thread can be closed..:)

All my other docs are fine so I can only assume some kind of bug got into it that made it double in size every time I added some text to it like grains of wheat on chessboard squares, 1-2-4-8-16 and so on, so no wonder it reached 2 million KB very quickly! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users