Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KeySweeper Arduino-based Keylogger for Wireless Keyboards

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

Security researcher has developed a cheap USB wall charger that is capable to eavesdrop on almost any Microsoft wireless keyboard.

MySpace mischief-maker Samy Kamkar has released a super-creepy keystroke logger for Microsoft wireless keyboards cunningly hidden in what appears to be a rather cheap, but functioning USB wall charger.

The stealthy Arduino-based device, dubbed "KeySweeper", looks and functions just like a generic USB mobile charger, but actually sniffs, decrypts, logs, and reports back all keystrokes from a Microsoft wireless keyboard.
"KeySweeper is a stealthy Ardunio-based device camouflaged as a wall charger that wirelessly sniffs, decrypts, logs and reports-back all keystrokes from any Microsoft wireless keyboard in the vicinity," Kamkar said.
The security researcher has also released instructions on how to build the USB wall charger online and surprisinglyits is cheap to build and quite capable. KeySweeper includes a web-based tool for live keystroke monitoring, capable to send SMS alerts for typed keystrokes, usernames, or URLs, and even continues to work after it is unplugged because of its rechargeable built-in battery.
KeySweeper — Arduino-based Keylogger for Wireless Keyboards

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

And being 'wireless' oddly not one single word on it's alleged operating range. Vicinity is a very broad term.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

Vicinity is a very broad term.

"I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles
Oh yeah"
  :whistle:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

What's this for? I don't think many people use wireless keyboards...

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

I know more people with wireless than wired.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

Me too.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

I use Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and mouse.

Keyboard

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-au/p/arc-keyboard

And this mouse.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-au/p/arc-touch-mouse

Got them on ebay cheap.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

Another good lesson on why over short ranges a plain old cable is the best way to connect things, why replace a technology that was quite capable of what was needed with one which doesn't really give any significant benefits but does give more potential problmes including (as shown by this) security problems.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

And being 'wireless' oddly not one single word on it's alleged operating range. Vicinity is a very broad term.

When it comes to receiving RF signals, better antennas and amplifiers go a long way to boost the range significantly. But of course, they will not fit in Samy's device.

For example, I have a small WiFi Yagi antenna. That's a directional antenna. It easily doubles the range when I point it in the direction of an access point.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#10 riopelnet112

riopelnet112

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

Another good lesson on why over short ranges a plain old cable is the best way to connect things, why replace a technology that was quite capable of what was needed with one which doesn't really give any significant benefits.

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

Another good lesson on why over short ranges a plain old cable is the best way to connect things, why replace a technology that was quite capable of what was needed with one which doesn't really give any significant benefits.

Because a cable is not always an option. Do you want a cable running from your keyboard to your smart TV?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users