Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random reboots

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Uzag

Uzag

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hi!
We got a computer at work that has some issues that I’m trying to solve. I’m afraid that I do not have much information about the computer on hand at the moment, but I hope that my description of its behavior is enough to give an idea what’s doing on. It’s a 1-3years old desktop PC running Win. 7 (32-bit), but that’s pretty much all I can say right now.

---
Short version;
The computer is shutting itself off with decreasing time inbetween. I changed HDD and the issue went away. But a day later, the same problem is back.

Longer version;

The computer suddenly started to random shut off, gradually running for shorter time periods. In the end, it would still start but not boot (black screen, no motherboard beep).
Before it quit completely, I used the program Core Temp to measure its temperature and everything seemed fine.

I suspected it was the HDD for various reasons, so I disconnected it and then computer would indeed boot as far as it could without an OS. I got a new HDD, installed it and set it up with Win.7 again. It ran just fine with no issues at all for several hours, so I figured that I had nailed it.
When I was at it, I also dusted it off as it was really dirty inside.

But the next day, the very same error was back; the computer randomly shut itself off, with decreased time in between the shut downs.
---

What’s could possible be going on? I feel uncertain where to even start looking now, especially as the error went away for awhile like that.

Very greatful for any input on this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

1. Make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

2. Replace the CPU Thermal Compound.

3. Try a new power supply.

Try one step at the time if one step does'n work move to the next one.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

This could be a overheating issue.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Not to beat on the obvious but.. you DID check out the power saving features section already ? Right?  Does it shut off while in use?

#5 Uzag

Uzag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hi! Thank you very much for the replies. My bosses at work has decided to not invest anything further in this computer.

The computer was really dead at the end, so it wasen't a power saving issue, nor could I check it by using any software.

However, did get some further investigations done before the decision to scrap it was made. I followed Mauguilar’s suggestions and although I never got to try a new power supply, I’m pretty sure this was the part that was busted. I did take this part out to get a better look at it. I didn’t open it up (as that’s beyond what I should do with my skills) but I was able to peer into it; most of the capacitors I could see where not only bulging but also leaking! So for further reference if others got similar issues, I’d say it was the power supply that was failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users