Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Remnants Detected By Hitman Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BruinBro

BruinBro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help advise me here..I recently cleaned my computer using RogueKiller, Adw Cleaner and MalwareBytes, and after getting a clean report from them, I scanned with Hitman Pro, and it's showing me a couple remnants that Hitman Pro claims to be from the PC Optimizer Pro program. (Upon looking at the keys in the registry editor, however, there is no reference in the path or values to PC Optimizer Pro). It looks like Hitman Pro recommends me to delete these, but I am unable to, due to the trial period expiration. I'm not certain it's worth getting a license over or not, since there's only 3 entries and only Hitman Pro detects these. (I've also since scanned with Emsisoft's Emergency Kit Scanner and Dr. Web Cure It). The 3 entries appear to be registry keys all starting with HKU:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4187500561-238599361-2886734470-1000\Software\Classes\Interface\{3B3F3AAD-FB97-49FF-BFEE-D22869AC4326}    

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4187500561-238599361-2886734470-1000_Classes\Interface\{3B3F3AAD-FB97-49FF-BFEE-D22869AC4326}                         

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4187500561-238599361-2886734470-1000_Classes\Wow6432Node\Interface\{3B3F3AAD-FB97-49FF-BFEE-D22869AC4326}

So I'm left wondering if I should consider deleting these or not, or if they're just simply false positives. If I do delete is there another free option other than Hitman Pro.?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

I just did a brief search for the first item and one result was from the MBAM forum. That item was identified by MBAM as a PUP and was deleted.

Suggest you update MBAM and run another scan after checking settings to be sure it is scanning for PUPs.

PUP....potentially unwanted program...or undesirable

You can use Revo to find and remove remnants of programs. Use advance mode.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Other than that...I wouldn't be much concerned about having a few orphan registry items.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Remnants are typically harmless leftovers of files, folders and registry entries after removing a program (or malware). Many program uninstallers do not perform an adequate job of completely removing them. How you deal with remnants depends on how clean you want your system. In this case, if it's only Hitman Pro finding those entries, I agree with buddy215 and would not worry about them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 BruinBro

BruinBro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

Thank you both for the advice..I stumbled upon Farbar and scanned the keys and that did the trick..after, Advanced System Care's Registry Cleaner was able to pick them up and delete them.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

Glad to hear that, however...be aware of the following:

Advanced SystemCareFree is an optimization suite and registry cleaner by IObit that purports to improve performance, make repairs and tune up a computer.

Advanced SystemCare Free...Why waste money on expensive "registry cleaners" to fix your PC when Advanced SystemCare Free will repair, tune, and maintain it for you – for free

Advanced SystemCare PRO is an optimization suite and registry cleaner by IObit with additonal features.

Advanced SystemCare PRO...provides automated and all-in-one PC care service with Malware Removal, Registry Fix, Privacy Protection, Performance Tune-up, and System Cleaning capabilities.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware. IOBIT has been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

#6 BruinBro

BruinBro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

Interesting .. I've been using ASC for many years and have always gotten excellent results from it.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'm just providing the information so you can make an informed decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users