Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Color Laserjet 2500 can only print yellow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Yes, I know it's ancient. :) But my Color Laserjet 2500 was working fine the last time I used it. Now if I try to print anything that uses any color at all, it can only produce yellow. Everything else vanishes. Black only mode works, but no black appears in color mode. Only the yellow. It thinks it has toner, and so doesn't give any error messages. Inspection of the cartridges inside the printer shows them looking pretty normal. What could cause this? Some sort of alignment problem inside the printer maybe?

I'm printing from a Windows 7 system, so the driver is going to be whatever the latest is in Windows 7. Thing is, it was working just fine with this same system and I doubt the driver has been updated in years.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

It's possible the image drum is failing. See if resetting the printer works. Here is a thread on the subject.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Well, it was interesting to watch as the lights slowly shut down. But no change in behavior and I can't even tell if any counters were reset because the printer status page is a color page. No visible print appear on it now. I hate the thought of taking something this old into the shop. What is it worth now? The labor cost alone would probably be enough to just buy a new printer.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

Yes, it would probably be better getting a new printer at this point.  I looked at the image drum for your printer and that alone is about $190

Edit: I found this. Only printed one color and was fixed by cleaning some solenoid.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/2500n-prints-only-in-ONE-color/td-p/1035455

Here is video on reaching the solenoid.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 January 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

That unit is filled with sensors and solenoids like none of its predecessors.  Each toner bank has a sensor and solenoid.  Checking each transfer wire too.

#6 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hmm, that video might be helpful if I can find the time to open the machine myself. I'm fairly experienced with working on the innards of PCs, but not major peripherals like printers. It will take some time and effort to figure out how to open the case and reach the parts shown here to clean them. Thanks for the pointer, though.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

Most of the mfgrs use  plastic tabs to lock pieces together.  Cleaning sensors and toner/ink spills can be tedious but is essential for clean, accurate prints.  A small mirror and a q-tip in a hemostat with alcohol can reach most sensors.  Laser printers have critical areas that allow the toner to adhere to the page until it can be fuzed.  Any extra toner or dust can disrupt all or part of a page or any color.

#8 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:24 PM

After months of waiting for "open lab" I took the printer in to my EET class. :) We took it apart, which actually took longer than anything else, and couldn't quite finish due to the screw holding the solenoid being unreachable. The HP techs must have special tools to be able to access some of these things. So instead of applying a replacement sticky felt, we had to simply slip a piece of card stock in under the solenoid. After realigning the cartridge mechanism and putting the machine back together, it does print all colors. But now it's producing a messy smear of magenta on all color images. Well, on ALL images printed using postscript, even plain black text pages. In PCL5 mode it still prints black just fine. Could this be a misalignment of another sort? Or a defect in the cartridge? The printer does sit unused for long periods of time. I really don't know when it got misaligned and unable to print anything but yellow. Is it possible for some toner to just "stick" and damage the surface of the roller? There is a blotch visible on the roller similar to the blotch on the printed pages. See attached image.

Attached Files

Edited by Alchemist, 18 April 2015 - 07:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users