Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't display using dvi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 p3mcski

p3mcski

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

I have a Dell studio xps 8100 running windows 7, a Dell in2020mf monitor ( using DVI connection ) and a Radeon Hd5670 card.

Yesterday, I shut down the PC and removed all cables/ power cards and took the wireless card out because the antenna was loose so I could re-tightened it.  I put the PC back together and started it up.  The monitor immediately went to power save and gave me a message that it was not receiving a signal from the computer.  I plugged a second monitor in and got the same results.  I tried my monitor in an different PC and it worked fine.  I then put my monitor back on my original PC using a VGA cord and it works ( although it's not a very sharp screen in this mode).  Is there any way I can get the monitor working with the DVI connection again? 

Edited by p3mcski, 13 January 2015 - 10:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Have you checked your video card to make sure it is seated firmly in the slot? It could have worked loose while you were working on it!

#3 p3mcski

p3mcski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

Checked the card, that's not the problem, but thanks!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

When you took the  video card out did you remove the cable to the dvi or is there still an adapter you left on the card or do you use an adapter for the video card? 

If you do have an adapter still on the card ' VGA to DVI '  remove it

touch both sides of the adapter with one hand and touch your PSU with the other. 

Re seat the video card re -attatch the adapter and reconnect the cable to the monitor.

#5 p3mcski

p3mcski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

I didn't remove the video card just the wireless card.  I don't have an adapter.  There are 2 connectors for the monitor on the PC, one DVI and one VGA.  I removed the DVI cable when the monitor "got stuck in power save mode" and installed the VGA cable so it is now working on the VGA connector.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

Can you clarify something here- I am assuming your video card has 2 outputs- one DVI and one VGA. Is there also a VGA output on the motherboard as well? Are you using just the outputs on the video card?

#7 p3mcski

p3mcski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

Reseated the video card and that took care of the problem.  Thanks to Paul88ks!

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

Glad to be of help! The same thing happened to me once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users