Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RolandJS, from DOS 2.02 to Windows 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

I will come back to this thread and fill in some detail.  Have to prepare for housekeeping and a dental appointment.

For now:  I remember PC DOS, DR DOS MS DOS, from 2.02 to 6.22.  I've used Windows 3.1, 3.11, WFW 3.11, W95, W98, W98SE, briefly W8 [got rid of it], now using W7Pro [ms blue-disk, not OEM].  Formerly a BATchfile-power-user, now learning more and more about Windows 7 Pro; security OPerationS, monitoring OPs, etc.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hi Roland, I had gotten a job as an electroplater at an electronic firm and literally didn't know anything about using a keyboard never mind anything about computers. The company's programs were on DOS, I don't recall the actual versions. Then we moved on to Windows 3.1 & 3.11. In those days I was clueless as to what was going on but at least I followed instructions on what was needed to know to get my job done. Then we moved on to Win95 plus that's when I bought my first home computer: a Packard Bell with all the bells and whistles and loaded with capabilities for future expansion thinking that I had a computer that would last "forever". Within about 6 weeks the computer got infected, scared the gazillions out of me, the company replaced the hard drive for free: but that's when I decided 2 things; learn how to keep my computer safe/ secure along with developing a maintenance plan which took me quite a while to catch on. Then I moved on to Win98SE, XP and now Win7. I certainly haven't become an expert but all of my computers have run their full course of Microsoft support and have run as good as new even into their dates of retirement. In the meantime I help my family & friends along with a number of volunteers at a non-profit organization I volunteer at with their Vistas, Win7 & Win8's. Most people I help don't have a clue of what's going on but since I remember my roots I can relate to them when explaining what to do. I used to change so I can adjust pretty well, but at the same time I'm still a simple cmptrgy

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:45 PM

Many years prior to the DOS evolution, BASIC was offered in many versions with different calls in each and some mfgrs offered extended versions that came as close to DOS as any of the time.  Initial networks were confined to HPIB equiped hardware,  mostly standard and laboratory equipment.  The first menu based OS was a thing called TabWorks that Intel gave away with their 2MB memory card for the IBM AT.  Shortly thereafter Epson built an 80286 processor with selectable 8, 10 or 12 Mcs.  The 80386 with an intergral co-processor changed things, both the amount of RAM that could be addressed and how large of a hard drive partition it could handle.  Software patches opened doors but slowed operations until the hardware generations could catch up.  It has been a long trip so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users