Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice for Upgrading GPU & Possibly PSU?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VanityRyan

VanityRyan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hello,

I need advice on upgrading my current system for better gaming performance. The current system specs are as follows:

RAM/Memory: 6.1 GB

PSU: 350W

Processor

Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz

Manufacturer Intel

Speed 3.2 GHz

Number of Cores 4

Video Card

AMD Radeon HD 5450

Manufacturer ATI Chipset

AMD Radeon HD 5450

Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB

Total Memory: 3.7 GB

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601) 

64-bit Service Pack 1 Size 64 Bit Edition Home Premium

Display

Maximum Resolution: 1600 x 900

I think...  the main issue is the Video card as it is a really old model. Also, with the PSU being 350W - would I need to also upgrade the PSU?

Games such as Arma 2, Counter strike: Global Offensive, DayZ, Insurgency, War Thunder - All average between 20 FPS & 30 FPS on lowest settings. 

Any suggestions as to what Video card (& PSU if required) I should upgrade to would be greatly appreciated. 

Please note: I currently only have a budget of around £80, any recommendations that go over the budget (but not too much) will still be taken into consideration.

Thanks.

Edited by VanityRyan, 13 January 2015 - 09:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hi there.. You most likely will need to upgrade your power supply for the newer model video cards sometimes require their own power input from the power supply.  Since your budget is very low I suggest maybe buying your power supply first and then in a few months look in to buying a new video card.  This will give you the best bang for your buck IMO.

Here is a good low cost PSU

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!!!

this topic is quite common, and the solution is still valid around a year later. the Maxwell generation gtx 750. TDP is around 50 watts max and the budget for the 750 is manageable. the 750ti gets more steep.  these units should be ok with your existing power supply and will deliver performance comparable to cards with twice that power consumption. your older gen I5 is still quite capable so you are in luck...below is the link to the cards as found on the UK pc part picker site, listing merchants in your area. be sure to choose the model that doesn't require the extra 6 pin PCI power lead from your power supply,  some do, some don't. i think i remember the EVGA models are clean from the additional pci requirement. it is kind of hard to tell anymore, the way the OEMs are overclocking  them.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=163,164&sort=a7

Edited by synergy513, 14 January 2015 - 09:27 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 VanityRyan

VanityRyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

Thank you for your suggestions :) I'll take every one into consideration. I think I'll look into the 750 and maybe worry about upgrading the PSU later on.

Again, thanks.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:39 AM

sure thing, keep us posted if any installation issues arise.

#6 VanityRyan

VanityRyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-076-ZT

Will this be good enough / work with my system?

I'm not sure if this doesn't require the 6 pin power connector or not, it does say "NO external PCI-E Connectors required" , does that mean that it doesn't have that extra power lead requirement you were on about?

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

Yes it means it doesn't require an extra power lead.  Although I agree their wording is pretty horrible.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:15 AM

yes, that unit doesn't require the additional 6 pin .  it is double slot width, as most of them are, so you may want to inspect your motherboard layout to ensure clear space below the 16x PCIe socket. your existing 5450 is probably single slot width.

also, does that Zotac model have the connection types you desire? i see it has the DVI-I which will need a cheap VGA adapter if you want to use the VGA/D-Sub analog type cable to connect to your monitor, although those adapters usually are included with the Card . Then i see it also has the DVI-D which will need a special digital style cable to connect to your monitor.  The DVI-D connections are apparent by the missing 4 pins around that long pin .It also sports the HDMI, which is mostly simple to use.

One more thing, when removing your old 5450 drivers before the installation, it is best to do so in Safe Mode, to be sure you nip them all in the bud and leave no pesky remnants..you would be astonished at how many card installations go amuck because that little detail was left out.

#9 VanityRyan

VanityRyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:42 AM

I use VGA for my current monitors (VGA is the blue connector I believe? xD) and that's what I'd like to continue using if possible. 

#10 VanityRyan

VanityRyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:47 AM

Yeah both monitors I use only have VGA ports :S 

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

are you going to be hooking up to two monitors that only have the VGA connection? Most monitors have the VGA and DVI-D, all of mine do, except for my 15 inch.

you may want to surf for the 750 that has the blue VGA and DVI-I if that is the case.. I think i remember the ASUS models have those ,  i will check again to be certain.

after looking at the different models, they all have only one analog DVI-I/VGA

all of them have the HDMI ports though, i thought that would be a big expense converting those to analog VGA but maybe not, a quick search revealed this hardware:

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/hdmi-to-vga-video-adapter

Edited by synergy513, 16 January 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#12 VanityRyan

VanityRyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

Thanks :) So basically I'd have one monitor Ordinary VGA, and the other monitor VGA via the Hdmi port using an adapter then. I guess that makes it significantly more convenient.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users