Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adware download

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cabinessence

cabinessence

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

can anybody please confirm whether the download file for the adwcleaner programme from bleeping computer should show the publisher as unknown? I've downloaded what I hope is the answer to my problems but I know there's a golden rule not to trust anything where you don't recognise the publishers name. Many thanks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 January 2015 - 11:19 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Its safe here :)

#3 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

Yes it's safe here.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

Tools from Bleeping Computer are tested and shown to be safe.

#5 cabinessence

cabinessence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

so the fact it says publisher unknown is ok if I downloaded it here. Whatever it is has got hold of my computer has deleted my adblock plus extension on Chrome and  replaced it with two others I've never heard of which I've now removed. Everytime I open my browser it starts up 2 tabs (both are my home tab mind you so it's not fully hyjacked my browser). It is however opening other sites at random, all of which are trying to get me to download anti virus programmes etc. I've been running malwarebytes incessantly for the last 24 hrs but whilst thats been quaranteening various programmes, it's not addressing this advert issue.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

You might consider starting a post in Am I Infected.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

I have moved your post from Windows 8 to Am I Infected. There is no need for you to start another topic in this forum.

Where do you see unknown publisher?
This is what I see here at Bleeping Computer when I look at it and it clearly shows the publisher.
XORpDGy.png

In addition, on the page with the Download button Xplode is listed as the author and there is a link to the author website.

All downloads here at Bleeping Computer are extensively evaluated and vetted by Grinler, the site owner, before they are added to the download section.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 January 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#8 cabinessence

cabinessence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

Thanks Evie, I've downloaded it anyway but it was in the overlay box that appears when you click on the downloaded file box at the bottom left of the web page and asks you whether you want to run. Anyway the good news is Adwcleaner has done the trick. I can't however find it on my list of programs or on the desktop. Is it just  a tool you go get from here when you think you need it or can you schedule it to do  a scan every so often like malwarebytes?

I seem to have encountered another problem insofar as my pc is not syncing with my Google account settings, specifically my adblockplus chrome extension. I've gone on dashboard and can see I have one extension (Adblock plus) but it's just not copying over to my pc. I can see its still on my laptop ok and all the boxes are ticked to sync extensions etc but it's just not happening. I did something last week where |I went into regedit, then  HKEY local machine, then worked my way down to Policies then clicked on Google and  update then onto a file where I had to change the value from 0 to 1. This solved the problem and the sync happened but now for some reason there's no arrow to access subfolders under Google. 

Edited by cabinessence, 13 January 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#9 cabinessence

cabinessence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

and now for good measure my taskbar has disappeared at the bottom  whilst in Chrome including the windows 8 navigation button and the only way I can get back is by hitting Control Alt del or the windows button on the keyboard!!! Edit/Update, Ok now as relaunched Chrome on the desktop. So only the syncing problem to deal with!

Edited by cabinessence, 13 January 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

Hello -

I always include the original download as well as the B.C. link to the tool where it is suited, as per below.

If you do check the original site of Xplode he will list us as the Alternate download when his site has problems, so we get the latest updates first.

Many tools do not have a "current legal signature" as they are continuously being updated... My links include both here and Xplodes sites.

Now :

• Download AdwCleaner by Xplode from Here or Here and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
     * Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button (only once)
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button
  • A report (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for your review.
  • Check the listed removals and see if you are OK with them.
  • If you have questions, post the Report log back here.

Next

• Click on the Clean button only once for accuracy
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK finally to allow AdwCleaner to Restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a log report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • **Copy and Paste the contents of that log in your next reply.**
  • To restore an item that has been deleted by accident : Open the program again,
  • Go to Tools (top left) > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.

Hope this has helped you -

Has your Taskbar moved to the side, or just below sight. You can "flick" the bar to the side or drag it below normal view.

Press F11 usually (on some makes F12) and you can hide the top and bottom bars, to create a Full Screen without Taskbars -

Edited by noknojon, 13 January 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#11 cabinessence

cabinessence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

Many thanks Noknojon! Unfortunately I didn't save the programme to the desktop, so I guess I'll just have to download again and save it this time?

I still have this problem with Google Chrome and can't get it to download adblock from the chrome webstore, as it keeps saying there's  a network failure. I had the same problem last week as well, which was eventually solved it by downloading adblock on my un-infected laptop and allowing Google Chrome to sync it over to my infected pc. Unfortunately at first it wasn't syncing but somewhere on the web I found out if you went into run and typed in regedit then onward thru  HKEY local machine and onto Policies then clicked on Google, then update and then clicked onto  a file where I had to change the value from 0 to 1, it rectified the problem. So I've just tried that again, but when I get as far as the Google folder there's no longer  a sub folder called update, so there's no way of getting onto the file and changing the value from 0 to 1 again. Could it be that adwcleaner has removed some of those folders  during the cleanup process? If so is the only way to remove and reload Google Chrome (like I know how to do that ha ha!)

Many thanks for everyone's help so far. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users