Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massive upload spike

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brazen00

Brazen00

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

I just noticed a massive spike in my active uploads and it has been affecting my download speed (as it would). My VPN log shows 3GB uploaded in less than an hour (not sure how these speeds are achieved as I have pretty slow DSL). I changed VPN servers and got the same issue. Disconnected and restarted the computer and have now had only 4MB uploaded in a 45 min session.

Running Windows 7.

Malwarebytes found nothing.

MSE found nothing.

Should I be worried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brazen00

Brazen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

Ok so the upload spike has just reoccurred. In the 15 mins since I posted, my VPN has recorded uploads of 1390MB. I suspect I should be worried.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:44 AM

Sounds like you have a P2P file sharing program running. uTorrent would be an example.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Brazen00

Brazen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

I've never had a P2P programming installed on this PC so if there's one running its in the background and unwanted!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

You may be part of a botnet.

Suggest you start a new topic in the malware removal forum. Instructions for doing

that: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Be sure to create the DDS log as described in instruction #6 and post it in your new topic along with a description of your problem.

Post your new topic in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum - BleepingComputer.com

After posting the new topic DO NOT bump it. Wait for a response which could be several days.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users