Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving to XP Again after somewhat 5 years

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

Is Moving back to XP a good idea?

Robert James Crawley Klopp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

No, since Windows XP doesn't get any new updates it is a high risk that you get infected. You can also read this blog with information.

#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

XP is outdated as of April 8 2014. Why in the world would you want to go back. XP can now be vulnerable to viruses. I suggest that you make the switch to Windows 7.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

XP is outdated as of April 8 2014. Why in the world would you want to go back. XP can now be vulnerable to viruses. I suggest that you make the switch to Windows 7.

XP is still supported by most Antivirus and Antimalware programs at this time, your only problem is Steam and others dropped it a bit early.

Thousands of XP SP3 machines are still in use, even though they are not Microsoft supported....

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:47 AM

Reatlity:

a.  IE 8 is outdated and not acceptable for use at some websites due to its current vulnerabilities.

b.  XP is unsupported, which means that there will be no attempt made to deal with current vulnerabilities via patching the O/S.

c.  Win 7 is more secure O/S.  In this age of malware everywhere, the security of your O/S should be the primary determinant of whether you choose one or the other.

d.  Support by AV programs is not the same as support from Microsoft.  Critical updates attempt to avoid infection as the first line of defense, while any AV program is really only a tertiary line of defense, with the router/firewall being the second line.

e.  It's your system, you make the call.

f.  I continue to use XP primarily because it allows me first-hand knowledge of situations which may be presented in this forum.  I do not recommend anyone to use it as an O/S decided upon through logic and understanding of what current conditions are today...particularly so, in light of the fact that many of these users don't even backup the O/S or have an install disk which would facilitate any recovery from a situation requiring wiping/trashing their current install.

Louis

#6 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

XP can actually run modern programs such as Chrome, YouTube and more.

#7 Quadrillion

Quadrillion

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

I was a heavy XP user. Loved it. Once I designed Windows 7 to look like XP using a quick launch bar, I discovered 7 to be superior in almost every way. 7 comes with Microsoft Security Essentials which is a solid, free AV program that NEVER gives me any trouble or popups.

I have an 8 machine that I tailored the same way. There is little difference between 8.1 and 7 when you use quick launch. piece of cake.

The only reason I can think of for going XP would be reduced memory usage - and I don't know whether that's the case or not. I still have XP on my slowest machine

Edited by Quadrillion, 15 January 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#8 RobertHD

RobertHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

I agree but im on vista now so very great

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Like with any OS it comes down to weighing the pros and cons of whether it will meet your needs (software availability, hardware compatibility, interface, and etc), and what will be required of you (maintenance, security, and etc). So to answer your question, it depends on the person. It can be a good idea, but it can also be a bad idea.

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Moving back to XP is a bad idea, it has been almost a year now since it last received a security patch and it will never get any in future. Furthermore there have been several incidences this year of vulnerabilities being found in ms software dating back all the way to windows 95, these have now been patched in vista, 7 8 and 8.1 but xp will never have fixes for them. By now criminals have probably taken a close look at the updates used to patch these huge flaws and have learned how to exploit the flaws, which are still vulnerable on xp machines.

If you MUST run xp:

never use internet explorer,

have a good antivirus on it and keep the AV up to date,

run an anti-malware program on it aswell,

have a few on demand second opinion scanners for whenever you fell suspicious,

disable any type of autorun or autoplay for removable devices and discs,

use firefox with NoScript installed as an add-on,

make sure that windows file explorer is set to "show full file extensions even for known file types",

expect programs you currently have to keep working, but expect future programs and eventualy updates to existing programs to no longer be compatible,

disable adobe flash player except when you visit a video site where you need to use it to watch something, then disable it again immediately afterwards, keep Noscript running so you ony let through the flash content you want,

use google chrome, or one of the firefox add-ons which can be found for FF, as you pdf reader, do not use adobe reader as it has some vulnerabilities in it,

do not run Java, or if you must have it for a desktop program then keep it up to date and disbale it in the browser(s),

be paranoid about every web page you visit, check every site you haven't visited before by typing it's url into web of trust,

every time you download an exe file scan it with virustotal,

Edited by rp88, 17 January 2015 - 08:14 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 RobertHD

RobertHD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:24 AM

queston solved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users