Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACPI\TOS620A (Unknown device) missing driver help needed.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

I have a Toshiba P875-S7200 laptop. I put an Intel 240GB SSD in it, put an untouched Windows 7 x64 on it (using X17-58997.ISO), and activated it with my own COA key.

I got all the missing drivers installed except for one. Using the VEN and DEV #'s from the Hardware ID and going to sites like pcidatabase.com, etc, I learned what the (vaguely labeled) mystery hardware was, then got the official drivers from toshiba.com.

Problem is, this last one labeled Unknown device, has an unusual Hardware ID that looks like this:

ACPI\TOS620A
*TOS620A.

I'm reluctant to install any driver software to have it find out but I was wondering about the drivers from DriverPacks.net. The page I'd be getting them from is here. Not knowing which driver I need, I wanted to get all of them, put on a DVD, then point the Device Manager to the disc to hopefully install it.

Is it safe to use the drivers from this site? If I get them and scan them with MBAM, SAS, and Avast, as long as they're clean, are they okay to use? I'm very leary of these things and could use some expert insight here.

If I shouldn't use these drivers, then what should I do about this mystery driver?

Thank you.

Edited by Lee42, 13 January 2015 - 01:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

Hi Lee,

The DriverPacks.net packages are safe to use but I'm not sure they include what you need...

ACPI\TOS620A is related to software, go to the Toshiba website and type your serial number then on the list of drivers and software look for the HDD Protection Utility install and restart the computer.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:24 AM

I've used IO driver packs and nothing is included; the driver packs I've used find the drivers need on the web ; from all sites as needed then install them and for me its a winner  :  )

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi Lee42,

This is the driver you are looking for:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/tc30551700d.exe

It's straight from Toshiba website, taken from the drivers download page of your specific laptop model.

Have a good day :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

The DriverPacks.net packages are safe to use but I'm not sure they include what you need...

ACPI\TOS620A is related to software, go to the Toshiba website and type your serial number then on the list of drivers and software look for the HDD Protection Utility install and restart the computer.

Hi SleepyDude,

Thanks for the vote of confidence on using DriverPacks.net drivers. I feel better now. :thumbup2:

I've got one question though, how can this HDD Protection Utility be for my laptop when I'm using an SSD? I am familiar with that utility though, it was on my original 750GB HDD, it's what parks the heads on the hard drive if the laptop is bumped or dropped to protect it from data damage.

I've been to my Toshiba support pages (both of them, here and here) and got everything I can get from them, that I need anyway, it's just this one that I can't seem to figure out what it's for, no matter how much I search the internet. Yes, I have seen that it's for the HDD Protection Utility before but that didn't seem to jive given my having an SSD instead.

#6 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

I've used IO driver packs and nothing is included; the driver packs I've used find the drivers need on the web ; from all sites as needed then install them and for me its a winner  :  )

Thanks for your response, Pestyone. But I'm sorry, I don't follow what you are saying. What are IO driver packs? Does this have anything to do with the drivers from DriverPacks.net?

#7 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

Hi Aura,

Thank you for taking the time to find that and provide the link for me. I clicked it and it took me straight to the download so I had to find out what it was for first. I googled the filename and saw that it's for the HDD Protection Utility. As I mentioned to SleepyDude, I have an SSD. Please correct me if I'm wrong but since this utility parks the heads of a hard drive in case of movement, how could this benefit when I have an SSD with no heads?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

Then there's no real need to install it. It's not because you install the drivers that you have to use the software/device. In that case, you should install it just to make sure that all your drivers are installed and working fine on your system. I doubt that this driver particuliary will cause you any trouble in the future since it won't be used, but migh tas well install it just to be sure that your system is fully equipped.

Also, concerning your DriverPack website, you should always, always download drivers from the manufacutrer website or that hardware component manufacturer website, never third party ones.

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2015 - 04:41 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

I'll go ahead and install it but will create a system restore point first just in case. I just figured it was unnecessary plus I didn't want for this utility to cause and damage to my SSD.

And I totally agree with you about installing only drivers from the manufacturer's website, installing a 3rd party one is a last-resort thing for me. I'll install this utility but it'll have to wait til later on this evening now, since today's my birthday and I'm going to be taken out to dinner in a little while, will reply later with the results though. Thanks a bunch.

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

No problem. Also, there's always a way to install official drivers from the manufacturer directly. Even if it's not being displayed directly on their website, most of them offer FTP access to their download directories with all the drivers :)

Happy Birthday and have a good evening :)

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2015 - 04:39 PM.

unite_blue.png

#11 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

No problem. Also, there's always a way to install official drivers from the manufacturer directly. Even if it's not being displayed directly on their website, most of them offer FTP access to their download directories with all the drivers :)

Happy Birthday and have a good evening :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I had an awesome dinner, and got so stuffed, I may not need to eat again for the next few days.. :blink:

Forgive me but I had a slight change of plan. I was going to just create a restore point but then it hit me, I haven't cloned my drive, or created an image yet on this fresh install so I decided to do that before going any further. I figured to do that tonight then tomorrow first thing, I'll resume where I left off. I'll still create a restore point anyway before running that utility but this came to mind and thought to stop while I was ahead, get this over with, then have that to fall back on in case a system restore didn't go right, which has happened before.

And thanks for the info about the FTP access thing, I'll definitely look into that. On this laptop, I always reinstalled the recovery media, which took care of all the drivers, but now that I put a SSD in it, I'm out for speed and don't wish to be bogged down with all the unnecessary bloatware that they cram into their versions of Windows. I love the product, very reliable, best laptop I ever owned, it's just the bloat I could live without so I went a different route this time and I love how fast this thing is now.

Have yourself a good evening too, and I'll talk to you tomorrow then.

Edited by Lee42, 14 January 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:58 AM

Hi Lee,

I think you are right about the software is not needed for the SSD.

The package will have to components the Driver and the software so you can install only the driver part to make windows happy, run the tc30551700d.exe and click Options then on the Extract to folder select a folder of you choice like d:\drivers\ACPI\ and take note of it, next uncheck the box Run command after extraction, click Next to extract the files.

Open the device manager, right click the ACPI\TOS620A and click Update Driver and direct windows to look for the driver on the folder d:\drivers\ACPI\INF

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 January 2015 - 05:09 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#13 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

The package will have to components the Driver and the software so you can install only the driver part to make windows happy, run the tc30551700d.exe and click Options then on the Extract to folder select a folder of you choice like d:\drivers\ACPI\ and take note of it, next uncheck the box Run command after extraction, click Next to extract the files.

Open the device manager, right click the ACPI\TOS620A and click Update Driver and direct windows to look for the driver on the folder d:\drivers\ACPI\INF

SleepDude, you are awesome! I felt better knowing I could safely do that versus running an executable that may (or may not) have caused me some issues. It was that uncertainty that had me worried. Hence the decision to create an image and clone the drive to fall back on just in case.

If inside that INF folder is the actual driver, then pointing the Device Manager to it is just going to use it or it's not. Unfortunately though, it didn't do the trick. After trying to update it by pointing the Device Manager to the INF folder, it said "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device". I took a screenshot of that and attached it to this post, which says it all.

Btw, when I extracted the files to the folder of my choice, it did not create a folder named ACPI, it did create the INF one and inside it was one file named thpevm.inf which i imagine is the actual driver file. Just thought to point that out just in case it was important to know.

I wont forget about this technique for future reference though, it's a very helpful thing to know. Thank you for taking the time to show me how to do that. :thumbup2:

#14 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

Well guys, I went ahead and installed the Toshiba HDD Protection Utility (from toshiba.com) and it took care of the missing "Unknown device" driver.

I believe I discovered a way around it possibly affecting my SSD. I went to services.msc and disabled the Toshiba HDD Protection Service. The driver is still installed but I rendered it inactive so it wont do any possible damage to the SSD. Now whether or not it would actually harm it will remain a mystery but I think doing this took care of it. Do you guys agree?

#15 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

It's been two days since my last post and I wanted to report that my disabling this after installing it didn't cause any issues, all is well.

Thanks SleepyDude and Aura for helping me out, I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users