Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP 32 bit and 3TB HDD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 python72

python72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

I have Windows XP 32 bit SP3 desktop and spare 3TB HDD, WD30EZRX

As I have read already Win XP will not handle drives larger than 2TB. 

But I have also seen discussion on another forum where someone said they were able to use GParted to partition the drive into smaller chunks and then were able to use it with Windows XP.

So I did the same, used GParted to partition the drive into two sections, 1.91TB and ~800GB, NTFS.

Everything looks OK in GParted but in Windows in MyComputer only one partition shows up, 754GB. The other is not visible.

But when I run WD Align all partitions show up and it says that all the partitions are aligned and no further action is necessary.

Any idea if I can get this to work? Or at least so I can format that drive to 2TB? Would prefer to do that since I have this drive already sitting on a shelf with no use.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users