Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC booting up with XP, can't stop it

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steelcaress

steelcaress

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

I'm telling the whole story. Apologies if this contains any irrelevant information.

Doing routine maintenance on my father's computer, I removed some spyware with ADWCleaner and went about reinstalling Chrome. Well, when Chrome magically started working again during the install (and behaved like a fresh install), I cancelled the new install. Being short on time, I killed all the Google Updater and other Chrome processes from the Task Manager. I think that's when my problems began.

God knows what Google was doing to XP, but it completely borked all exe files. When I downloaded the Apache 4.11 version of OpenOffice, System File Checker started magically running (with no warning) and consumed 99-100% of my CPU, slowing everything to a miserable crawl. I told my dad to leave the PC alone and let SFC run overnight if needed. 

Came back the next day. Trying to install OpenOffice at this time, it gave me this stupid Nullsoft error:

"Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include an incomplete download or damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy. More information at nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error"

Well, to fix that, I had to rebuild the areas of the Windows registry that control exe files. That sucked. Yes, I resorted to regedit.

Now my problem is this:
1. System File Checker magically starts up with XP, and sits in the Task Manager. It tells me "Access Denied" when I try to kill the process.

2. I've checked MSConfig and I can find a couple of things in the startup list that I don't know what they are. I leave them checked, lest I uncheck something critical and the system won't boot.

3. System File Checker decides to run, slowing the system down to a crawl. Sometimes, if you want to do something, you either have to work around it, or cold boot the computer. Since I can't kill it, I have to cut the power to turn the beast off during that time. 

4. In short, SFC has become the nightmare that will not die. Is there a way to stop it from booting up with XP in the first place?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kamels

kamels

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

In this situation, I recommend you to do a system restore.

To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:
1. Log on to Windows as an administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.
4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.
Note: A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
5. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
6. Log on to the computer as an administrator. Then, click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page.
If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state and the computer runs as expected, you are finished.

#3 steelcaress

steelcaress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

I forgot to mention this:  I did a System Restore back to the day before I sat down with it :( . It didn't fix the SFC issue or the exe issue.

On the positive side, my dad says the computer is a whole lot faster than when I started.

#4 steelcaress

steelcaress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

Well, I fixed the issue. After finding out how to disable SFC, it magically asked me (for the first time in quite a few reboots) if I wanted to run SFC. I said "no," and it booted right up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users