Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 98SE on eMachines E527

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

I've been trying to install Windows 98 on my eMachines E527. First I'd like to replace the IDE CD-ROM with a SATA driver, but I cannot find the config.sys, autoexec.bat, and the CD Drivers. I already have all the hard drive modes set to "ide", but there's no compatibility settings for the cd drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

I don't think you can install Win98 on that computer because is was designed for Windows 7. There are no hardware drivers for Windows 98. Do you still have Windows 7 on the computer. You can use Virtual Box to create a virtual machine of Windows 98. There are quite a few youtube videos on the subject.

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

No, I have Linux Mint and FreeDOS.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

There is a Virtual Box for Linux. With that you could install Windows 98 as a virtual machine. Same basic steps.

#5 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

Well I copied the cd files to my freedos partition, and the setup ran, but soon said "setup needs at least 16MB of memory to run", mistaking my 2GB of ram a <16MB.

Will two of these be good?

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 12 January 2015 - 10:32 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

If you put that in ,if it's compatible, you would render linux Mint useless and there is the possibility you could not run Windows 98 because it could not detect your new hardware. Your computer would run Windows 98 fine using Virtual Box as it only needs 64MB out of your 2GB to run decent.

#7 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

So am I better off just buying an old computer off ebay that is already running 98? I had installed Windows 98 on a virtual machine on my main desktop computer a few years ago and it still runs well, but I'd like to have 98 on a physical computer, just because I like the Windows 9x series, and because i grew up with a windows 98 computer. I'd prefer something relatively powerful, but cheap(ish).

EDIT: Is this good? (I plan to replace the hdd)

The shipping is a little high for my taste... 

Here's another one. Hopefully I can get $100 by the end of the month

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 13 January 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

Yes, I would say get a used computer that can run Windows 98. I think Goodwill has certain stores that sell used computers that people donate. If you go to a small PC repair shop, they may even have old motherboards and cases to sell or want to get rid of.

#9 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Unfortunately the closest Goodwill stores are in Stillwater, OK and Winfield, KS, and I'd prefer to not drive ~40 miles just to find out that they do not have any old computers. So I could either wait until we go to one of those places and hope they have a computer I'd like, or I could buy one off ebay.

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 13 January 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#10 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:27 AM

Don't try to attempt buying one off of goodwill or get one off eBay and there is a good reason why not to buy from those places is because you will waste your money on stuff that may not even work. I wouldn't risk it. What you could try instead is to replace all the parts with older ones. First you would want to replace the motherboard with an older motherboard. Then get a Pentium III Processor that is compatible with your motherboard. Note that 2 cores is enough for this PC.Get at least and also requires a 486DX 66 MHz CPU. I would say that your hard drive should have at least 295MB while your RAM should have 16MB. If the motherboard does not include a VGA port on it then you need a graphics card. If you're an intense PC gamer like I am then I would recommend the graphics card. Since this is an older PC I would get something like a 3dfx Voodoo graphics card but make sure it is compatible with your motherboard. Also replace the Power supply Unit to an older power supply with like 150-200W which should put you on the safe side. Replace CD drive if necessary and add floppy drive. Lastly you would need your windows 98 installation disk. Note that you should have the product key on there in case you get a bubble saying Activate Windows Now. The good part is you don't have to activate Windows in any OS till like around maybe 2000, ME, XP. If you don't get any of this then reply to this message and I may be able to help you out.

#11 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

Also when looking for these recommended parts go to a PC repair shop as they may have used parts there. My guy at the PC shop I go to sells Pentium 4 Processors, Pentium III Processors, XP and Vista desktops, used motherboards, hard drives, RAM and more and most of his products are outdated and discontinued.🔥💥💨

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

I keep an original Win98 computer running and it plays all the old DOS games just great. Serious Sam, Descent, Doom, Mechwarrior, Ghost Bear, Mech Warrior Mercenaries, Wing Commander series, etc. Nostalgic fun. It's not connected to the internet so no virus problems and I don't need a firewall or antivirus to slow it down.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

@POKEGAMERZ Those stats seem a little off; Windows 98 is a uniprocessor OS, and 16MB of ram is the minimum allowed. Plus, there isn't much room for modification in a laptop.

Anyway I found one off craigslist for 25 dollars. All I need after that is an Ethernet card and then I'd be ready to go!

#14 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

If you could then I would recommend trying to find a WiFi USB for the laptop. Before you activate the WiFi USB on the laptop try to find USB 2.0 drivers for it. First tell me the model of your laptop and i'll see if I can help you out. Just make sure that the WiFi USB runs on USB 2.0. Don't forget I need the exact model of your 98SE. Also don't lose the installation disk that comes with your USB 2.0 WiFi USB.

Edited by POKEGAMERZ, 14 January 2015 - 05:09 PM.

#15 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

To clarify, I've decided to not install 98 on my laptop, but to buy a desktop with 98 preinstalled. And my laptop already has a wifi card. I've heard that it can be a hassle to get wifi on 98, so I'll just stick with ethernet.

P.S. Windows 98 does not have support for usb 2.0

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 14 January 2015 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users