Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows prompt to "Back up your encryption certificate and key

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garfieldcfc

garfieldcfc

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

I got this prompt today when I got home, not entirely sure why it would need me to do this. I've never seen this prompt before, and have been using windows 7 (on different hard drives) since its release. Should I just let it do the thing?

"Back up your file encryption certificate and key"

Creating this backup file helps you avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files if the original certificate and key are lost or corrupted.

Then 3 buttons:

Back up now (recommended)

You should back up the certificate and key to removable media

Back up later

Windows will remind you the next time you log on

Never back up

you could lose access to your encrypted files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hi,

The prompt suggests you have select to encrypt some files using the windows built-in encryption, to avoid losing your files Windows advise you to create a backup of the encryption key...

The following article explain how you determine which files are encrypted and revert the process if you did it by mistake.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 garfieldcfc

garfieldcfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

I tried to run cipher.exe, but the command prompt closed almost instantly.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hi,

I tried to run cipher.exe, but the command prompt closed almost instantly.

You need to open the Command Prompt first running as Administrator but I did some testing and the output generated by the cipher.exe tools isn't very easy to read...

A more simple solution is to download SearchMyFiles it's free and don't need to be installed, select the version that matches your OS (x86 or x64) and extract the zip file to some folder

searchmyfiles.gif

1. On the Base Folders box click Browse to select the drivers you want to search
  2. On the Attributes - Encrypted select Yes
  3. click the Start Search button

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 garfieldcfc

garfieldcfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Looks like it's mostly Minecraft. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users