Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

notepad++

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donar

donar

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

hi i have 50k email addresses saved  in notepad++, i only want to select 2000 of them , can anyone tell me how to do this please? , donar

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2015 - 01:15 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

Assuming the 2000 you want to select are listed consecutively, place the cursor in front of the first one, scroll to the last one, hold "shift", and place the cursor at the end of the last one. This will select all data between the two cursor placements. If the addresses are all mixed up in the document, then your only choice may be to highlight each one individually while holding the "Ctrl" key through the whole process. Might I suggest you do 100 at a time using that method. That way you don't waste a lot of time selecting almost all of them, then an errant click erases all your selection work. Been there... infuriating ...

Or better yet, import all the addresses into a better program for sorting and selecting, like Excel or Access

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 donar

donar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

hi , not sure if the reply i just sent out of the message you sent and was in my gmail box went or not so i am replying again here.

thanks for your time , i do not have excel , i will try and find " access" though, the addresses are one per line only so your suggestion may well work, regards don

#4 donar

donar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

hi unfortunately that did not work for me ,i am sure i did exactly as detailed, i did go to save as and saved them as " the first 10 " just as a trial, thanks don

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

If you don't have Excel you almost certainly don't have Access installed either as they are both parts of the MS office suite. However you could install one of the free office suites such as Open or Libre Office both of which contain spreadsheet packages very similar to Excel. the Libre Office spreadsheet application is called 'Calc' and it has similar data sorting and selecting functions as Excel does.

Both of these office suites are free downloads -

Open Office :-   https://www.openoffice.org/

Libre Office  :-   http://www.libreoffice.org/

Chris Cosgrove

#6 donar

donar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

thanks for the reply i have used libreoffice previously , i will download it again , donar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users