Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do modems have different ip addresses than routers?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hello, I can use some help with a few networking questions please. I have verizon FIOS, there a is huge box on the wall [I am guessing that is my "modem"?] and a router is connected to that big box. I had thought the Default Gateway is the Modem's address but now I am thinking the Default gateway's address is the router's ip address? If this is correct then does this mean the modem will have an ip address of it's own? if yes, how do I ping the modem to find it's ip address please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

I am betting it is on a different ip, that ip is passed to the router and the router is likely handling DHCP (handing out ip's to your computers and devices).

The easiest way to find the modems ip address would be to connect a computer to the modem (using the same line the router is currently plugged into) and then opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig, there you would look for the "default gateway". You can do the same command while connected to the router to see the default gateway.

After finding that number out, you can login to the router by opening a web browser and typing that ip in the url bar (where you would type a web address such as www.bleepingcomputer.com).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the explanation so other than bypassing the router and hard wiring a pc directly to that modem no other way to get it's address?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

It depends on the setup... You might be able to put DHCP on the modem (depending on what it is) and use the router as an access point, then you could access both through the router. If you log into the router, sometimes it will show the internet gateway there which likely would be your modems ip.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

Alright  but to confirm, a modem [if a separate unit from the router] will definitely have it's own ip address, is this correct please?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Yes, it will have it's own ip address. 

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Appreciate the help, thanks!

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Glad to help, happy computing.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

Oh one more thing, you should be able to ping the modem when connected to the router, but you will need to know the ip of the modem to ping it.

For example, my router is doing dhcp with an address range of 192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.100, the modem has an ip of 192.168.20.1, I can ping 192.168.20.1 even though I am connected to the router and not directly to the modem.

Edited by zingo156, 12 January 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

Oh, one more issue please if you will? If a router is not receiving internet signal from the modem, will the pc's connected to the router still be able to communicate with each other or would the the router absolutely need internet service for the pc's to see each other? Also, if there isn't a separate modem and router since nowadays a lot of people have just one unit which is a hybrid modem/router, will this combo device still need internet service for the pc's to communicate?

Edited by mystic12, 12 January 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

None of them should need internet service to communicate if they connect to the same router/modem. The router/modem will create a LAN in which all of the computers can share files if setup to do so. If the internet goes down, those computers will still be able to communicate (unless the modem/router is having an issue that brings both the internet down and the LAN).

If the internet goes down due to a internet service provider issue (storm knocks out a hub, hardware failure etc), your local network would still work and the comptuters can still communicate with each other.

Edited by zingo156, 12 January 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Thanks! So if one pc on the network does not work, one would need to troubleshoot that pc by going to that pc and checking to see if it has an ip address? If it doesn't then you can assign an ip address manually and that would take care of it?

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

It depends on what is not working, if the computer is connecting to the router and the internet but not sharing files, you would need to change settings in windows. If it is not connected to the router/internet, then you could try manually setting an ip address but if your router is using DHCP, I would generally leave the computer to automatically detect settings, unless you are forwarding ports for gaming, then I would manually set the ip address, this is also known as a "static IP".

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

Ok, really appreciate the help, I will refer back here if needed, thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users