Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow start-up after restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gladders1980

Gladders1980

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

Hi all,

As you can see from this thread I posted in the infected forum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562773/possible-virus-problem-on-windows-81-start-up/page-2#entry3593899

My computer takes 5-10 mins to start-up after a restart. This happened about a week ago after stupidly starting a installation of a virus from a plug-in. I cancelled the installation half-way through.

But since then when ever I restart my laptop (not shut down and turn back on), it loads normally, however any programs on start-up such as AVG, and zonealarm don't start for around 10 mins, I can't access task manager or any other windows item such as msconfig, or even clicking control panel. I can access other programs such as chrome and steam or whatever and I am connected to the internet even though the network bars on the taskbar say I'm not.

After about 10 mins everything loads as normal and my computer acts normally after that. Like I said this only happens on a restart, if I shut down and then power back up windows loads as normal.

My computer seems clean from malware and virus after the help in the infected forum thread from above.

Any ideas what could be causing the slow start-up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jbabar

jbabar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hi,

Which program did you install before you started to get problems? It looks like your registery might be damaged by a virus.

#3 Gladders1980

Gladders1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

It was some plug-in from a website, don't remember the name of it but there was a folder in program files called Vauuddiix (it contained one .dat file) which I didn't recognise. I didn't fully install it (I don't think). I "end task" the installer from task manager before it finished.

Edited by Gladders1980, 14 January 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:34 AM

To speed up your computer, reduce your start up or login items and uninstall all the unwanted applications. Then, use Cleaning utilities such as NinjaTuneUp or CCleaner. These utilities will clean all the junk files from the system and defrag your hard drive as well. Also, use the best antivirus utility such as Avast or Sophos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users