Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic shutdowns and reboots

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Djazzmann

Djazzmann

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

For the past few weeks, my computer has been frequently powering itself off (as in completely powering off, as if it's been unplugged) and turning itself back on seconds later. This seems to occur at seemingly random times; from right after booting up to an hour after being turned on, and can shut down both in use and when idle. The frequency of the issue has progressed to the extent that I can no longer use my computer without it shutting off before I can do anything. However, it APPEARS to run fine in safe mode, although because it's so difficult to replicate, I don't know this for certain.

After weeks of troubleshooting, this is what I've done:

I've replaced the PSU.
I've checked for overheating and replaced the CPU cooler.
I've run memtest86 and passed.
I've run Seatools for DOS on my HDD and passed.
I've done multiple virus scans in safe mode, using both Bullguard and Malwarebytes.
I've switched out the power switch.
I've ran the PC in a totally different house with none of the same external hardware.
I've restored the BIOS to default settings.
I've replaced the CMOS battery.
I've done a clean reinstall of Windows.
I've disabled all startup programs and all non-Microsoft services.

Despite all of the above, my PC still shuts down. It may also be worth noting that while it appears to run fine in safe mode, the machine shut down while attempting to use the bootable AV Kapersky Rescue Disk, but was fine while running memtest and Seatools.

Any suggestions of what to try next? System specs are in my profile.

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2015 - 12:17 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:05 AM

:welcome: to BleepingComputer Community Djazzman :)

Although you have mostly covered the bases, I would try to check if there is the latest BIOS version for your motherboard as they tend to release fixes on certain bugs not addressed by hardware replacements. Second would be to use a different PSU that is applicable to your video card requirements as there are some bad reviews with certain Corsair PSU CX products.

Tekken

#3 Djazzmann

Djazzmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

:welcome: to BleepingComputer Community Djazzman :)

Although you have mostly covered the bases, I would try to check if there is the latest BIOS version for your motherboard as they tend to release fixes on certain bugs not addressed by hardware replacements. Second would be to use a different PSU that is applicable to your video card requirements as there are some bad reviews with certain Corsair PSU CX products.

Thanks, my only concern is that if my computer shut down while I was updating my BIOS, that would basically render my motherboard useless?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:29 AM

This is only a blind shot in the dark, but have you checked your mainboard for any bulging and/or leaking capacitors?

[EDIT]:  On re-reading, it seems really strange that the computer totally shuts down and then restarts. It  means that if it restarts, something is by-passing the power switch and completing the boot circuit without human intervention. If there really is totally no power to the computer, that is impossible. So....it follows that the computer really has not shut down, just gone into hibernation, sleep, or somesuch and then "wakes up". Check your power settings carefully and make sure there is not some setting for a timer, including the BIOS.  Years ago there used to be a setting (XP or WIN98 I believe) that was called "Wake on LAN", and it was for System Admins to remotely hibernate and restart a computer on a network. At times this would drive a regular user crazy because his unit would suddenly "start" without warning, so all that was necessary was to deactivate that option in the settings. Just a thought...

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 January 2015 - 05:50 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Djazzmann

Djazzmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

This is only a blind shot in the dark, but have you checked your mainboard for any bulging and/or leaking capacitors?
[EDIT]:  On re-reading, it seems really strange that the computer totally shuts down and then restarts. It  means that if it restarts, something is by-passing the power switch and completing the boot circuit without human intervention. If there really is totally no power to the computer, that is impossible. So....it follows that the computer really has not shut down, just gone into hibernation, sleep, or somesuch and then "wakes up". Check your power settings carefully and make sure there is not some setting for a timer, including the BIOS.  Years ago there used to be a setting (XP or WIN98 I believe) that was called "Wake on LAN", and it was for System Admins to remotely hibernate and restart a computer on a network. At times this would drive a regular user crazy because his unit would suddenly "start" without warning, so all that was necessary was to deactivate that option in the settings. Just a thought...

Sorry if I misunderstood your suggestion, but the PC isn't hibernating in the sense that when it turns back on it's in the state that it was before shutting down; it reboots the OS. But aside from that, what kind of power settings should I be looking at?

And my motherboard capacitators appear to be fine.

Edited by Djazzmann, 15 January 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#6 damoncasale

damoncasale

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

In very rare instances, I've seen similar behavior coming from a failing or overheating video card.

Damon

#7 Djazzmann

Djazzmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

In very rare instances, I've seen similar behavior coming from a failing or overheating video card.

Damon

Is there anyway to test this for definite?

#8 damoncasale

damoncasale

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Yes, get a bargain video card from a local store and make sure the store has a return policy.  Try out the card for a few days, and if it turns out that solves the problem, then get the video card you really want and return the bargain one.  :)

I had this happen to me about 5 years ago or so.

Damon

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Does it happen more frequently/intermittently? Can you leave the computer in  safemode then see if it happens one time? I would also try disabling auto restart to check on the BSOD codes also for a more specific reference of causes. On the other hand, the video card as suggested or using the built-in video if available can also be found as one of the culprits. Posting the BSOD message if ever occured upon disabling on the next sudden restart would be helpful.

Tekken

#10 Djazzmann

Djazzmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:04 AM

Does it happen more frequently/intermittently? Can you leave the computer in  safemode then see if it happens one time? I would also try disabling auto restart to check on the BSOD codes also for a more specific reference of causes. On the other hand, the video card as suggested or using the built-in video if available can also be found as one of the culprits. Posting the BSOD message if ever occured upon disabling on the next sudden restart would be helpful.

Safe mode stays on for hours without doing anything. I've tried disabling automatic restarts but the same thing happens; no BSOD. I don't have onboard graphics so I'm going to have to wait till I can get a cheap GPU to test with as Damon suggested.

Edited by Djazzmann, 18 January 2015 - 07:04 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Is there any clue looking at Event Viewer under System or Application? Have you tried disabling your security software?

#12 Djazzmann

Djazzmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

Is there any clue looking at Event Viewer under System or Application? Have you tried disabling your security software?

Checked and there's nothing out of the ordinary other than the usual critical error 'the last shutdown was unexpected'. I've tried running my PC with all startup and non-windows services disabled.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,642 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

Have you tried running sfc /scannow? I doubt it would find anything though since you did a clean install and the problem still occurs.

In BIOS there should be a Power Management section. See if disabling items in that section helps. You set it to default but disabling items in Power Managment might give a clue.

Are there any dmp files you can analyze?

I can't understand how it can go hours on Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode. Something is different between the two. If you uninstall your graphics driver and run in normal mode, does it restart?

When you ran the memory test, did you let it run overnight?

Edit: Try running this test. See if it finds errors in the CPU under load.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 January 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#14 Djazzmann

Djazzmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

Have you tried running sfc /scannow? I doubt it would find anything though since you did a clean install and the problem still occurs.

In BIOS there should be a Power Management section. See if disabling items in that section helps. You set it to default but disabling items in Power Managment might give a clue.

Are there any dmp files you can analyze?

I can't understand how it can go hours on Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode. Something is different between the two. If you uninstall your graphics driver and run in normal mode, does it restart?

When you ran the memory test, did you let it run overnight?

Edit: Try running this test. See if it finds errors in the CPU under load.

I have run sfc /scannow. Unfortunately no dmp files are created with the shutdowns.

I seem to remember it shutting down after uninstalling my graphics drivers, but I can't remember for certain. I'll try this again when I get the chance.

As for the memory test, no. I only left it until it completed. Also, I did run a test where I placed the CPU under 100% load but it didn't shut down.

Edited by Djazzmann, 18 January 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,642 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

A very strange problem. You disabled all startup and non-windows services. You could try this again and at the same time run Process Explorer to see if there are non-microsoft processes still running. Other than that, I am out of ideas on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users