Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going rom RedHat to Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rgswaim

rgswaim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

Back in my computer professional days PC's still had 3 1/2 inch floppy drives. I have a 3 1/2 inch bootable disk with formatting capability and a cd with XP, one with win 98 and one with win 95. Now I have a laptop with Linux on it. I want to put one of the legal versions of windows I have on the laptop. The laptop has a disabled(broken) cd/dvd drive and I have hooked up an external cd/dvd drive. I want to boot up from the ext drive and reformat the laptop hard disk. I point the laptop to boot off the ext cd/dvd drive but it will not, says it doesn't recognize the HD(i.e. it isn't formatted). So I need to be able to boot from the cd/dvd drive, format the hard drive and then install windows. What am I doing wrong? I haven't built a computer from scratch in about 10 years so I am behind the curve.

How do I do what I am trying to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rgswaim

rgswaim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Should be FROM RedHat to Windows

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:55 AM

Can your computer see the external drive in the BIOS?  Here's an article about how to make a bootable external drive for installing Windows 7/8, some of it may be useful.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users