Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

25 Important Windows Updates not Installing correctly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mauler02

Mauler02

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

I have been having this problem for a couple of months now. I currently have 25 Important and 5 Optional Windows Updates downloaded onto my computer, but when I restart/shut-down, the updates fail. It usually ends with the message "Windows update failure; reverting (or reconfiguring) changes" or something like that. Then I can log in and use my computer like normal.

I have been ignoring the issue since everything was working until recently. I have started to notice things are slower (Internet Explorer, Chrome) and updates for Avast and other programs seem to get stopped before they can begin. For example, Avast is now telling me I have no internet connection, even though I am watching youtube videos while I try to update Avast.

Please let me know how to get these updates to install properly. I hope that fixing them will also resolve some of my other issues.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:32 AM

Hello,

With Windows Update issues on the of first things to do is check for any corrupt system files/WU files, as these can be the often cause for WU to fail.

Please follow the instructions Here to run the System Update Readiness Tool. When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

SFC /SCANNOW
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD
  • Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.
Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

#3 Mauler02

Mauler02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, here are the SURT Logs you requested:

CheckSUR

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2015-01-12 13:09

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 2730
 No errors detected

CheckSUR.Persist

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2015-01-12 13:09

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 2730
 No errors detected

----- I am running the SFC Scan in CMD right now, I will post the results to that when it finishes.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me through this.

#4 Mauler02

Mauler02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

I cannot get the CBS.txt to save onto my desktop. I ran the SFC Scannow with no issues and then copy/pasted the line you gave me into the search box, but nothing happens. It looks like the CMD window flashes real quick, but there is no file on my desktop.

This is the line I pasted into the search box, maybe there is some typo in it.

cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

Any ideas?

#5 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:40 AM

The command works fine, I have used it on about 1,000 users :)

This does happen from time to time though.

Export CBS folder
  • Click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please.
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

Edited by Go The Power, 14 January 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#6 Mauler02

Mauler02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:04 AM

That worked great! Thanks.

It's too big to attach to the post, so I uploaded it to One Drive.

Here are the URL links to the folder:

View:       http://1drv.ms/1u5sDZr

Edit:        http://1drv.ms/1u5sDbN

#7 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:00 AM

No corruptions are showing which is good.

Windows Update Log
  • Click on the Start button -> Inside the search box copy and paste the following command
    cmd /c copy %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\WindowsUpdate.txt"
  • Please go to your desktop and attach WindowsUpdate.txt to your next post

#8 Mauler02

Mauler02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:30 AM

Yea I think the scan found some corruptions and fixed them the first time it ran.

I loaded the WindowsUpdate.txt onto OneDrive again:

http://1drv.ms/1IAF6N8

Thanks for sticking with me on this, it's been a pain in my ass and it's really nice to have some help.  :thumbup2:

#9 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:44 AM

No worries at all. we will first try and clear the temp Windows Update files, if this fails we will have to clear any pending transactions.

Software Distribution rename
  • Click Start -> Type in CMD in the search -> Right click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
  • Entre in the following commands:
    net stop wuauserv
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak
    net start wuauserv
Once completed please try and run windows update again.

Restart your computer and try Windows Update again.

If it still fails or gets stuck on installing the updates over a reboot please provide the following.

Please go and navigate to C:\Windows\winsxs and copy any files with a similar name to pending.xml (e.g. pending.xml, pending.xml.bad, pending.xml_dfsadf78 etc.) to your folder on the Desktop [there may not be any, just if there are]. Then zip up this folder and attach it to your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users