Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ruined hhd after cloning to a SSD?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jfsjr61

jfsjr61

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

I had a 6 month old gaming PC that had a 1tb HHD. I wanted to get a SSD and put my OS on the SSD and use my original HHD for storage. I purchased a SanDisk conversion kit seeing as how the SSD was a SanDisk. I used the kit as instructed and I got nothing out of the harddrives when finished. I took my PC to a repair shop and I was told that they could put my Windows 8.1 OS on the SSD from a disc I had and he said that my original 1tb harddrive was ruined. My question is could I of really ruined the harddrive trying to clone it to the SSD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Personally, I have never heard of a HDD being ruined because of a bad clone although I am not familiar with the Sandisk software used to clone your drive. Do you still have the 1TB drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 January 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#3 jfsjr61

jfsjr61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

yes i do still have it 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

When you said you got nothing out of the hard drives when finished, does this mean you could not boot the HDD or the SSD after the clone?

Remove the SSD data and power cables. Attach your Hard drive. I am assuming you cannot boot from the hard drive now and you have another computer available.

Download Seatools for DOS iso file. Burn it to create a bootable disk. You can do this on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot Seatools for DOS and do a short test to see if the drive passes. I don't know if your computer is OEM but in order to boot Seatools for DOS, Secure Boot in BIOS should be disabled. You may have to enable Legacy or CSM boot. You may also need to change AHCI to IDE mode.

Seatools for DOS tutorial

#5 jfsjr61

jfsjr61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

That is correct I could not boot up after the clone on either drives. I feel confident with the small PC knowledge that I have, enough to be able to reattach the hard drive. But! 

1. I am using the PC that I am talking about now, The tech, just installed the OS on the SSD from a CD that I have.

2. I am not sure if I can burn a  disk on this PC or not, This has a (  HL- DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSCO-ATA device) in it. I have not needed to burn anything in a long time.

3. I don't feel that I have the knowledge to get into messing with the BIOS. I tried ounce before when this first happened and I think I might of screwed it up more.

4. This PC is a custom made "gaming" computer that I had made from Cyberpower PC.

Would it be safe to just reattach the hard drive and try to see if the PC recognizes the hard drive? by getting into disk management.

Edited by jfsjr61, 12 January 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

I have never seen a clone kill hardware, if the drive already had an issue or was failing prior to cloning, the extra usage while cloning may have finished the drive off. By ruined I assume they ran diagnostics on the drive and found it was bad?

The only time I have seen a problem with clones (outside of already failing hard drives) is when the cloning order was incorrect, possibly the blank ssd was cloned to the 1TB drive? This means that the info on the 1tb drive may be lost entirely as it would have been over written with blank data from the SSD. I am not certain this is what happened but it is one possibility.

I would recommend you run seatools on the old drive as suggested by John C if possible.

If data is important, you can try to use a data recovery tool such as RStudio, GetDataBack, (Free: Recuva, Test Disk). You will need to attatch your 1tb drive to the computer to do any of the tests or data recovery. There should be no issue reconnecting the hard drive.

Just FYI, if indeed the clone was done from the blank SSD to the 1tb drive, it might be very difficult to recover data if at all.

Edited by zingo156, 12 January 2015 - 11:28 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 jfsjr61

jfsjr61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

All i am looking for is to use my old hdd as storage, i am not looking for lost data

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

If no data is needed, you can plug it in and see if it still works at all. It would still be wise to run a hardware diagnostic to check the condition of the drive. The tech shop might have more information about it. They should have run a diagnostic on the drive.

Edited by zingo156, 12 January 2015 - 12:40 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 jfsjr61

jfsjr61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

I hooked it up and restarted it , i had to redo the boot order in BIOS, and I still have it! it works, I have 930gb of storage now, do you still think I need to do that diagnostic on it  by having to burn that disc from Seatools for DOS?

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

If you want to be certain it is reliable, I would run the diagnostic. If you don't store anything extremely important on the drive or make backups frequently, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users