Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet on all browsers and cursor jumping during typing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EricDH

EricDH

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

I've got Cclener & Adaware pro (paid) version running & I'm still experiencing SLOOOOWWW internet on my DELL laptop.  Doesn't matter which browser type I use, IE or chrome; same results.

Also occurring is my cursor jumping to where ever the I-beam is on the screen; its bleeping driving me nuts

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Define, as best you can, what you mean by slow.

How long have you been using Adaware Pro?
When did the slowness start?
Who is your internet provider?
Are you using an external mouse or the laptop touchpad?

You can also try the suggestions here to see if they help with getting rid of the slowness
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

#3 EricDH

EricDH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

Been using adaware pro for about 3-4weeks.  Bought the Pro version after I started noticing the slowness, thinking it would clean up anything that might be causing it.  Same with Ccleaner.  The slowness started a little over a month ago.  COMCAST is internet provider.  I use an external mouse & I'm not a traditional typist.  I'm nowhere near the touchpad when cursor jumps.

All my other connected devices (tablets, phones, etc) are not slow like my laptop.  

What I mean by slow is taking over a minute to get my homepage to load. Even google start page takes 30 seconds or better to fully load the search input box.  All webpages are taking so much time that the chrome "kill page or wait" option comes up.  Noticeably slower than what I consider normal.

Thanks

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

Thank you for the information. Had you said it started after you installed Adaware Pro I would suspect that could be the cause of the slowness. Sometimes a security product does not play nice with a system.

And since you say no other devices are slow my other theory doesn't hold water since all devices would be affected if it were an ISP issue.

Have you run any malware scans other than your AV scan?

I don't have anything else to offer but hopefully others will be able to help you.

Ok, so one more question: do you have any Comcast branded programs installed?

#5 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:50 AM

I too Got the same problem i noticed on mozilla its slow but on chrome its running very very smooth

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I too Got the same problem i noticed on mozilla its slow but on chrome its running very very smooth

I realize that you problem may be similar to the one in this topic.  But it usually will turn out that what looks similar will eventually reveal enough differences that it is well worth pursuing the problem as a separate topice.

I would suggest that you start your own topic.  Include a complete description of your problem.  It usually helps to include the make and model of the computer in question.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 EricDH

EricDH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

Queenie,

Thanks for the reply.   

No COMCAST branded programs.  No other scans other than what Ccleaner & Adaware.  Norton anti-virus also running

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Always worth checking:

In Internet Explorer:

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan settings > Under Proxy server, uncheck the "Use a proxy server for your LAN......." box and click OK.

In Firefox:

Click Tools > Options... > Advanced > Network > Settings > select No proxy > click OK.

In Google Chrome:

• Open Google Chrome
  • Click on the Menu key > Settings > Show Advanced Settings.
  • Scroll to the Network section > Change proxy settings.
  • Go to the Connections tab.
  • Click on LAN Settings.
  • Uncheck "Use a proxy for your LAN..."

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

No COMCAST branded programs.  No other scans other than what Ccleaner & Adaware.  Norton anti-virus also running

In your first post you state that you have Adaware Pro.

Which one of these do you have, if any? http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware.php

If it is one of those listed, they all have an antivirus.
Which means you are running 2 AV's, Adaware and Norton.

That opens up another question: How long have you been using Norton? Comcast offers Norton Security to customers for free. Are you using the Comcast supplied Norton? I know you said you don't have any Comcast branded software installed but I want to confirm this with you. When I see the words Comcast and Norton together I usually ask about it.

From here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

There is more on this in the linked to post, which you read.

Uninstall one of them and see if there is any improvement. Both of them at the same time could the reason some of slowness but not all of it since you said it was slow prior to Adaware Pro.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 January 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#10 EricDH

EricDH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

Queenie,

Thanks again.  The Norton was provided by my employer, not comcast.  I will remove the Norton since its easy enough to get it back if needed

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Don't forget to run the Norton Removal Tool. Norton is particularly notorious for connection problems when not properly uninstalled.

Edited by Phantom010, 13 January 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#12 EricDH

EricDH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Thanks phantom

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members