Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ways to back up files between computers and USB

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CACG

CACG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

i do a lot of college work on different computers and so my USB stick is a god send, i normally try to keep a copy of it saved on my personal laptop but obviously the problem comes with remembering to update it, so when i snapped my usb stick and hadn't done an backup in over a month id lost a fair amount of college work. so i was wondering is there a way to get my USB stick to automatically back up to my computer every time i plug it in.

i know there's a way that i can automatically back my laptop up to my usb but i want to do it the opposite way. unfortunately im not very techie so after google turned up nothing i knew id have to speak to someone with the know how so here i am please be gentle.

information you might need:

• i have windows 7
  • my memory stick has 16GB and is a cheapy from argos (as seen in the link:http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2497721.htm)
  • my computer is an ACER aspire E1-571 (at least thats what the sticker on the front of it says) and it has 2.2GHz, 3MB L3 cache (i think some of them have something to do with memory) 

i do apologise for the very poor information or possibly retentive information

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hello, 

There are indeed many ways that you can automatically backup your data on a flash or other USB drive. For example this native Microsoft Tool:

There are also other software solutions, some of them are free and have a built-in synchronization setting which allows you to schedule when you’d like your backups to happen. It is up to you to choose such a program, or maybe other users here will recommend. 

If, however, you choose to upgrade to an external hard drive at any point in time - you will have wider possibilities regarding backup solutions and keeping your important data safe. 

Hope that was helpful, Citizen_WD

#3 CACG

CACG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

I've gone and downloaded the Microsoft one you recommended thankyou for that. I've yet to link it in as I had to rush off to work but I'll see how Microsoft fairs for now it sounds good enough though :) thanks for the help :)

#4 CACG

CACG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

upon use i've found that it really isn't user friendly, i've looked at 3 different tutorials and none have worked despite following step by step and they still dont, if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great. thank you anyway though Citizan_WD for the prompt response 

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

Take a look at this one Create Synchronicity http://synchronicity.sourceforge.net/

it will not backup automatically but you can create a profile(s) to easily do the backup and run it every time you want.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users