Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issue with Asus Z97-E

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brandonnys

brandonnys

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

I've trying looking for a solution and have done a number of tests, and have isolated my issue... I think. I'd like to see what you all think.

Just upgraded to an Intel i7 4790k, an Asus Z97-E (just updated BIOS to latest version), and 32B of Corsair Pro Series DDR3 RAM (Not on Mobo QVL, but I don't think it's the issue, see below). I also have an MSI R9 290X 4GB Video Card.

I put everything together, hooked up all my peripherals, and excitedly pressed the power button. I excitement was quickly ruined when I couldn't get it to boot at all. It will get to the ASUS splash screen and then just hang.

After a lot of testing (the usual RAM tests, running on-board video, etc.) I came to discover that if any peripherals plugged in, it would not boot. I found this by removing all peripherals and resorting back to a PS/2 keyboard on boot. I was able to get to the BIOS, configure boot priority, install Windows 7 64-bit, and get it to boot all the way to the desktop. A small victory.

I started to reintroduce peripherals during boot, and found that it was only the USB3.0 bus that was the issue, not the USB2.0. I was able to plug in my Razer Lycosa into the two USB2.0 slots and it will boot just fine.

An interesting issue I found: While in BIOS, if I try to plug in a peripheral into the USB3 ports, it will lock it up.

Once my computer boots (or rather, once I get the "Starting Windows" screen) I can plug anything I want into the computer, including USB3 devices, and they will all work without issue. Knowing this, I hardly ever reboot my PC, and when I do, I have to unplug and replug in peripherals during boot at a very precice time after POST but before desktop to avoid the plug-and-play OS prompting a restart because of new hardware.

So my question is this: Is there some kind of setting on the Asus Z97-E that would cause this kind of boot issue? Would this be an issue with the motherboard, or an issue with the USB3.0 controller on the i7 (I had read somewhere that the controller was on the chip, not on the motherboard)?

Any insight would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brandonnys

brandonnys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Update: Did another test, just for fun, by plugging in additional USB ports to the open 2.0 headers on the motherboard and connecting peripherals to those ports during boot. Those ports will also prevent proper boot, and it will hang in BIOS if I plug anything into those other USB2.0 ports.

So, as of current, the only ports I can use during boot are the two USB2.0 ports on the motherboard.

Ideas?

Edited by brandonnys, 11 January 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

Did you try resetting the BIOS back to factory default? On several occasions I have had new boards not boot until I reset the BIOS and then no problems thereafter. If that does not help, I suggest returning the board before your warranty expires.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 brandonnys

brandonnys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

I did set the board back to defaults, and it reset to defaults on its own after I updated the BIOS to the latest version.

I'll likely pursue an RMA on the board, or just buy a new one and return this one.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

So my question is this: Is there some kind of setting on the Asus Z97-E that would cause this kind of boot issue?

I'm not familiar with your motherboard BIOS settings and just trying to throw in the dark solution here but, looking initially at the mobo specs from the online site gives a hunch on the USB 3.0 boost (not sure if its a BIOS feature) which points to here regarding 3 different modes.

Tekken

#6 brandonnys

brandonnys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:16 AM

I'm not familiar with your motherboard BIOS settings and just trying to throw in the dark solution here but, looking initially at the mobo specs from the online site gives a hunch on the USB 3.0 boost (not sure if its a BIOS feature) which points to here regarding 3 different modes.

I think that assumes that I'm already in the OS (it appears to be an application). I'll look further at it though. Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users